Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Lincoln LS How can I test my coil pack on my Lincoln LS V

How can I test my coil pack on my Lincoln LS V8.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

The best way to test is by swapping around coils to see if msifire moves assuming you have a specific misfire. Otherwise you will need to swap around injector to see if misfire moves.There are no specifications for resistance, you could check and compare them to eachother.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I replaced one on the no. 4 cyl. it indicated a misfire. the car is still running bad

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I'd replace injector on that cylinder then assuming its the same cylinder misfiring.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I measure the resistance on each injector and find the bad ones?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
If the coil in injector is bad but if its clogged then resistance will be ok.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The car is running choppy and I need to pinpoint either or or both are the problem. How can I check both to determine the problem?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
You can do the resistance test but if that doesnt identify you will need to swap around injectors to see if misfire moves.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Im really scared to run the car too long because of how bad it is running. Can I do resistace test on all the coil pack and compare it to the new ones I replaced? Also doing a resistance check on the injectors and compare them too? Also after that can I hook up 12 VDC to each injector and listen for the click?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Yes you can do resistance tests and you can try to listen for clicking injectors if manually supplying power/ground.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I can do resistance test for both injectors and the Coil packs?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Correct, there is no specificed resistance but you can still compare to eachother.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked and .010-.018 oms on the injectors is normal?, what about the coil packs?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
There are no specs for the coil packs and injectors are 8.5 to 15.5 ohms
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Also could it be the fuel pump? What is the PSI for the fuel pump on the rail?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Fuel pump usually causes a stall and no start condition. Do above tests first and let me know if you run into questions. You can reply at any time even after you accept. Thanks.