Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master,ASE Master L1 Certified
17659378

What does ETC engine fail safe mode mean on my 06 lincoln ls?

Chuck :

This means that the electronic throttle control is in the fail safe mode.The computer has seen a glitch and has went to fail safe mode which is a reduction in power and or even just an idle. This is usually caused by a shortin ignition coil pack.

Chuck :

it causes the computers to reboot kinda like your home computer in a lightning storm

Customer:

The message appeared when I tried to accellerate quickly, but the car started back up and after 2 driving cycles of normal accelleration it hasn't come back on. Would you recommend I have it serviced?

Chuck :

Yes I suspect that you have a coil pack that is miss firing. It usually starts out like you described. Normally you can recreate it by doing a wide open throttle burst and when it gets close to the rpm redline it may feel like you reached up and turned the ignition switch off and back on. It will get worse. Thet can usually pinpoint the effected cylinder by looking for mis fires recorded in mode 6 data in the computer with a scaan tool.

Customer:

What does wide open throttle burst mean? Do you know roughly the cost of the repair?

Chuck :

accelerate at wide open throttle

Chuck :

The cost would depend on how many coil packs you have bad. The coil packs are about $125 each and the diagnosis would run 2 to 3 hours so you could be looking at a $400 and up repair cost

Customer:

thanks