A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician

97 town car: I disconnect the factory installed anti-theft system

Customer Question

How do I disconnect the factory installed anti-theft system on my '97 town car
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

You really cannot disable the remote keyless entry. It is better to have it fixed then disable it. The only way to disable it is to unplug the drivers door module in the drivers door. Then you will no longer have power door locks or any memory functions for the seat or mirrors.

The best thing to do is repair the cause of the problem. We can help you do that. You will need to get any codes from the Drivers door module and also the Lighting Control Module. Any repair shop and also the dealership can get the codes for you. A parts store can if they have the proper scan tool that can communicate with these modules. A simple code reader will not perform these functions.

Experience: ASE Master Certified. ASE Gasoline Engine Performance Certified,Ford Senior Master Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX my car just turns over and over but nothing. Later, maybe days later it starts just fine. Someone said this cranking and no start is what happens if the anti theft is on. So I was just brainstorming. This has been going on for a couple of years every other month or so. It has pressure and fuel in the fuel rail. It failed 3 days in a rrow last week. I put in a fuel relay and it hasn't failed since (3 days)

You can stop by any auto parts store and have them check for any codes in the ECU (Engine Computer) Even though the check engine light is not on, you can still have codes in the ECU. They will check the system for free. Just check for codes and post them on this page.

Also if the fuel pump relay was replaced and the problem has not returned, you may be looking a fuel pump concern. The fuel pump electric pump motor may be heating up and causing the relay to fail causing the no start. The anti theft will not cause your problem. It interrupts the starter circuit, not the fuel pump circuit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The codes were checked several times but nothing and no history either With there being fuel in the rail and pressure, what function does the relay play

The relay sends power to the fuel pump motor when the key is turned on. If the fuel pump motor requires more power, it will heat the circuit up and also heat the relay up causing the relay to open stopping flow to the fuel pump. Over time, this will burn the contacts in the fuel pump relay and cause intermittent stalls.

Next time the vehicle will not start, but will crank over, check for fuel pressure in the fuel lines. It should be a large spray of fuel when you push the test port valve on the fuel rails for the injectors. Not a dribble.

Lets see if we can find the problem before you replace any more parts.