Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2004 Lincoln town car: revs..battery light..new battery..alternator

I have a 2004 Lincoln town car Limo that has the code Po316, misfire after 1st 1000 revs and P0302, misfire cylinder 2. It also has a battery light that pops on a couple minutes after start and sometimes goes out. Still happens even with new battery and alternator.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

With the P0302 the next step would be make sure the intake gasket is not leakign and swap injector with another cylinder to see if misfire moves, if so replace injector. If not then problem is mechanical such as valves. You will need to do a running compression test and cylinder leakdown test to verify mechanical problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does this problem have any connection to the battery light issue?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Not likely, Starting in late 2002, Ford switched from a conventional to a Powertrain Control Module (PCM) controlled charging system. To test, check for battery voltage on the Yellow/White (YE/WH) wire at the alternator. If present, check the Light Green/Red (LG/RD) and Yellow/Light Green (YE/LG) wires for continuity to the PCM and for no continuity to ground. If all wiring checks out OK, check for the correct application on the alternator. In most cases, the alternator installed is for a non-computer controlled charging system which will charge normally, but will keep the battery light on due to no charging system feedback information being sent from the regulator to the PCM. To test for the correct application, remove the regulator connector and test continuity OF THE REGULATOR between regulator terminals 2 (LG/RD attaches here) and 3 (YE/WH attaches here). For a PCM controlled regulator, expect to see between(NNN) NNN-NNNNOhms (printed values list(NNN) NNN-NNNNOhms but this discrepancy doesn't seem to be an issue). An open circuit would indicate an incorrect application alternator. Install the correct alternator and recheck the system for proper operation.