Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Lincoln

Lincoln LS 2000 lincoln LS will not start but will crank over.

2000 lincoln LS will not start but will crank over. We have 40 PSI fuel pressure and spark. I do have two error messages engine data and fuel data error. I have remove the PCM and i'm considering repalacing that any thoughts???

PS: i checked every ground and positive conection. And the odometer reads when you first turn onteh ket then goes to ----------- on both the milage and trip.

Hello, I'm Chris
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I assume the theft light flashes rapid while trying to start the engine?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well that's a good question I never looked at is while trying to start the engine. I do know it is solid red when you turn the key on and it goes out after a few seconds.

I have sprayed gas into the intake to see if it will start and it will try. it's like the PCM is telling the fuel injectors not to fire i have no power at the fuel injectors when turning the engine over.

I also bougt a new key fob and it will not program using the instruction fromt he Ford dealer. They are as follows...

1- Make sure the lock ar in the unlock position

2-Turn the key tot he run then off for 8 times ending in run onthe eight time.

3- The locks will lock then unlock (this never happens)

4- Then hit the lock then unlock on thekey fob withing 20 sec. Never get to this step....

This is my first Ford and so far it's been a challange. what i thought would eb a simple project is turning into a major one.....

No power to the injectors, that helps. Lets see why there is no power. See if this fuse is good and is powered while the key is on.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we checked every fuse with a volt meter for voltageon both sides. I did go out a recheck this fuse and it's checks ok I even switched the fuse with another and no change..
If the fuse is showing power and no injectors show power then the wire from this fuse to the injectors is broken.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry we checked with the OHM setting on the voltage meter there is no voltage.. We assumed the voltage would only be there when the engine is running.
There will be power on this fuse while the key is on, I mentioned that earlier but you may have overlooked it, double check with the key on and tell me if there is voltage o n this fuse either side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, yes there is power there with the key on...
Are the injectors also now showing power?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

not sure would need to check them the car will still not start. The injectors don't feel like there functioning you can usually feel them turning on and off.. I had my wife try start it I put my hand on the injector nothing not even the normal clicking sound...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes we have power at the injectors.

OK now you need to verify there pulsing, see the info below.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i will need to go to auto zone tomorrow I will send you a note tomorrow night. like I said you can usually feel them and here the injector kicking on and off that's not happening on any of them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ps: thanks for the help this late at night.....
Your welcome, hear from you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, i got the NOIS light and checked it with the key turned in the start position and the engine cranking the light did not come on when pluged into the #8 fuel injector.
Ok this means the injector is not getting a ground signal from the PCM, you need to verify on more than just one injector. Also double check and make sure the injectors tested are getting power. No ground pulse means the PCM is not getting a cam position signal or the theft system is triggered and flashing rapid which you stated was not occurring or the PCM is faulty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The theft system light is not on at all when cranking... I have now checked three of the eight injectors (the easy ones to get to) and we have power and the NOIS light will not light up on any of them... What should I check next???
You now need to verify the cam position sensor is good and getting a signal to the PCM, if it is then the PCM is bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, how do i check that?? it's not in a good spot very hard to get to..
While cranking the engine it should produce a AC voltage signal which fluctuates.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

AC?? Is there an easier location to check it?

You can check it at the PCM under the hood on the passenger side in the firewall, see the diagrams HERE and HERE and HERE.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
voltage is DC not AC correct?

No, the cam sensor produces an AC signal.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, we have .1 to .05 volts it goes to .1 when cranking..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there a way to test the cam sensor when it's removed from the engine?

You can ohm test the sensor out of the engine but there is not a spec for what a good or bad one shows.

You now need to use a scan tool and see if the PCM is seeing a cam sensor response.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

does the voltage seem correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and where do iget a scan tool?
The voltage seems correct but you need to know if the PCm also likes it. You can buy a ford NGS scan tool from ebay.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ya for $900+. i can buy the sensor and PCM for that....
I assumed that would be the option you would rather take.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so you would agree it is one or both causing my issue???
It has to be one or the other since you have power to the injectors but no pulse and no theft system issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well the Cam sensor was not he issue... that is not good the PCM is $900.00

Dont forget it also has to be programmed once installed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ya thank's we know. I plan to take it to the Ford dealer to get it done it's time ot cut my losses..

Thanks for all the help you tought me a few things....

Your welcome