Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years
28939717

Air bag codes - flashes 51 with KOEO..engine running..driver side

Air bag codes - flashes 51 with KOEO and a 34 with engine running. Did some research and a little confused. Seems to point to the driver side but some seem to say it is in the buckle?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 3 years ago.

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer I'm Paul and I will help you with your Question

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

both of these codes are related to a defective clockspring

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

this is under the steering wheel a shorted clockspring will trigger both these codes

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

there is a higher chance it's the clock spring than the airbag module....

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

clock spring is a wearable part and they fail often and can set both these airbag codes

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

you need a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel and get the clock spring

Customer:

Wow - an expensive part - have the tools to do the job - with the light on is it true the airbag would not deploy in an accident?

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

you can get a clock spring for 50 dollars

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

online

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

with the light on the air bag will not deploy correct

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

system is disabled when there is a fault

Customer:

oh - 50 bucks not too bad i will have to search around - autozone lists at $92. Thanks for the info!

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

thank you for using Just Answer

Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE M :

Remember to click accept so I get credit for my answer

Positive feedback is also appreciated

The question will be here if you need more help just log into the site and let me know

Paul

Customer:

Great and thanks for the link...

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech 20+ Years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, so got the clock spring, finally got time to put it in. The code 34 is gone, but still getting the 51 code. Internal Thermal fuse? Short to ground no longer exsists? Any idea what or where this refers to?

if code 51 is still present this means the internal fuse in the airbag diagnostic monitor was blown by the damaged clock spring

you need to replace the diagnostic monitor behind the glove box

click here for more information

Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech 20+ Years