CTLincolnTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Lincoln Mercury Certified

1996 Town Car: driven..cold, car starts..wont start..cranking

Customer Question

1996 Town Car is having a problem starting after being driven and shut off. When cold, car starts right up, go for short drive, shut off, come out and it won't start. Plenty of cranking power. Let it sit for 1/2 hour, starts right up.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  CTLincolnTech replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is Kyle and I will be the Lincoln Expert assisting you today.

Most common for this concern is to have a fuel pump go bad after the car has ran. What happens when the pump runs and gets hot then the vehicle is shut off, the pump does not like to turn back on until it is cooled a little bit. Unfortunally it is hard to diagnois as it is an intermittent problem. What we typically do is when the vehicle fails to start, spray a little starting fluid in the air intake tube and if it starts, we know the pump is bad.