Chuck
Chuck, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master,ASE Master L1 Certified
17659378

Lincoln Navigator Have a problem with the front air suspension

Have a problem with the front air suspension on 2005 Lincoln Navigator. Changed a T-fitting and an "O" ring in the air compressor but the front suspension does not go up. It goes up sometimes only. Can hear the compressor running. Right now with cold temperature the front does not go up at all. When hot weather it was going up sometimes. Could it be the solenoid before the air bags? What could be the problem?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Chuck replied 6 years ago.

Chuck :

This will usually be caused by a leak at one of the air bags. Most of the time it will be the right one for some reason. To tell this get into the vehicle and shut the door.Turn the key to the on position(do not start the vehicle) and then pull the gear shifter past neutral.The compressor will start,now put it back into park and leave the key on.Then open the drivers door,the compressor will stop but will start back up as soon as you close the drivers door.Now walk around to the front of the vehicle and listen for a leak.The side that you hear the leak on will be the side you need to repair.

Chuck :

Once you find out which one it is you will need to remove that strut and air bag assembly and replace the seals and the top mount to correct it.You will also need to inspect the bottom of the air bag for dry rotting and replace it if so.

Chuck :

Would you like the instructions for doing this?

JACUSTOMER-kqc11bqx- :

I had a mechanic place check for leaks and they said it was only on the compressor so they changed the "O" ring. The car ran good for only a few hours and then the front went down again. Is there some resetting required?

Chuck :

No usually the cold weather is what effects this

Chuck :

It will leak around the upper mounting plate

Chuck :

You will need to replace the seals and the upper plate on the side that is leaking

Chuck :

It will usually work okay once the temps get well above freezing

JACUSTOMER-kqc11bqx- :

I am in South Florida so no where freezing temperature.

Chuck :

See the vehicle should not leak all the way down because the solenoid closes when the height sensor gets to level

JACUSTOMER-kqc11bqx- :

The mechanic mentioned about maybe the solenoid between the compressor and airbags might be bad. What do you think?

Chuck :

Well you can verify what I have told you by doing the key on thing

Chuck :

The solenoid would have to be stuck open for this to happen which would be very very rare

JACUSTOMER-kqc11bqx- :

How would i know the leak on the air bag? Would there be some sound etc?

Chuck :

Yes you would hear it leaking,it will be pretty noticable

JACUSTOMER-kqc11bqx- :

ok. Can you give me the instruction you mentioned.

Chuck :

Here is the instructions for resealing the air bag. On the last page the mount you will want to replace this if you hear a leak along with the seals.

Chuck :

The part nuber for the seal kit is listed in the last page of the instructions

Chuck :

were you able to download the instructions?

JACUSTOMER-kqc11bqx- :

yes I was able to download it.

Chuck :

good

Chuck :

You will also need to check the height sensor.Disconnect one end of it and move the arm and make sure it moves freely thru the entire range of motion

Chuck :

One on each side of the front.

Chuck :

If anyone of them binds up they need to be replaced

JACUSTOMER-kqc11bqx- :

To summarize: I have to find out which air bag leaks. Change that one and replace the seals right?

Chuck :

The air bag itself may be ok. It will just need to be inspected good at the bottom of the bag.If you see any cracks this could be signs of the rubber dry rotting and then you would replace it. Replace the seals and the upper mount,the mount is the last pic in the instructions

JACUSTOMER-kqc11bqx- :

ok so it might just be the seal and upper mount. I will check the file you sent can order the seal kit if thats the case.

Chuck :

Sounds good

JACUSTOMER-kqc11bqx- :

I checked and looks like its the right side leaking. I will try to get the seal kit you mentioned and see if that resolves the issue. Thanks

Chuck :

Thanks for using just Answer