Shawn
Shawn, Technician
Experience:  16 years in the Automotive Industry
8633277

2005 LINCOLN LS: THE SERVICE PARKING BRAKE IS..LIGHT STAYS..ON.

2005 LINCOLN LS THE SERVICE PARKING BRAKE IS IN MESSAGE CENTER. THERE ARE NO CODES EPB MODULE. THE PARKING LIGHT STAYS ON. ANY IDEAS TO LOOK FOR
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today with your question.

I would start with a visual inspection of the parking brake system and the components as well as check the master cylinder fluid level. Illumination of the light after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level and the brake system should be inspected, most likely the pads have worn out causing the fluid level to drop, therefore setting off the light.

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Operation

Pull the parking brake switch upward to engage the parking brake. Release the switch, and it returns to the neutral position. To release the parking brake, make sure the ignition is turned to ON, press the brake pedal, then push the parking brake switch down. The instrument cluster BRAKE warning lamp illuminates and remains illuminated until the parking brake is released.

The electronic parking brake (EPB) will automatically release when the gearshift lever is moved from P (Park) with the ignition ON. The EPB also disengages if a gear is selected and the accelerator pedal is pressed. The EPB will not release when the release switch is activated. If the battery is disconnected, the EPB system must be reset; the vehicle message center will display "APPLY PARK BRAKE" or "APPLY ((P))".

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Resetting

NOTE: The electronic parking brake (EPB) can be released after the battery is reconnected.

The electronic parking brake (EPB) system must be reset whenever the battery has been disconnected or has been in a state of discharge.

To reset the EPB system, follow the steps:

1. Place gearshift selector in the park (P) position.
  2. Turn the ignition switch ON.
  3. Press the brake pedal and at the same time pull on the EPB switch.
  4. Then release the EPB switch. To release the EPB switch, push on the EPB switch while depressing the brake pedal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
EVERYTHING WORKS AND THE BRAKE FLUID IS FULL AND PADS ARE HALF WORN. THE EMERGENCY BRAKE HAD IT JUST GIVE YOU THE SERVICE PARKING BRAKE MESSAGE
Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer, below are the test procedures from Ford.

THE RED BRAKE WARNING INDICATOR IS ALWAYS ON

Test StepResult / Action to Take
A1 ISOLATE THE BRAKE FLUID LEVEL SWITCH
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: Brake Fluid Level Switch C1395.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Monitor the brake warning indicator.
  • Is the brake warning indicator lamp on?
Yes
GO to A2.

No
INSTALL a new brake fluid level switch. TEST the system for normal operation.
A2 CHECK CIRCUIT 8-GC7 (WH/RD) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: front electronic module (FEM) C201c.
  • Measure the resistance between the brake fluid level switch C1395-1, circuit 8-GC7 (WH/RD), harness side and ground.
    graphic
  • Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes
GO to A3.

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.
A3 CHECK CIRCUIT 8-GC7 (WH/RD) FOR AN OPEN
  • Measure the resistance between the FEM C201c-11, circuit 8-GC7 (WH/RD), harness side and the brake fluid level switch C1395-1, circuit 8-GC7 (WH/RD), harness side.
    graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to A4.

No
A4 CHECK CIRCUIT 31-GC7 (BK/BU) FOR AN OPEN
  • Measure the resistance between the brake fluid level switch C1395-2, circuit 31-GC7 (BK/BU), harness side and ground.
    graphic
  • Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
REFER to Section 206-05 to diagnose the parking brake.

No

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THE RED LIGHT IS NOT ON . THE AMBER PARK BRAKE LIGHT IS ON AND THE SERVICE PARK BRAKE IS ON MESSAGE CENTER.BUT THERE ARE NO CODES AND PARK BRAKE WORKS PROPERLY

Expert:  Shawn replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

Below are the tests for the EPB system,

Connector Circuit Reference

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Switch C3218

graphic

Pin Number(s)Circuit Designation/DescriptionNormal Condition/Measurement
164S-CG15 (BU/WH) switch illumination powerGreater than 10 volts with the headlamp switch ON.
410-CG15 (GY/VT) EPB module to EPB switch release circuitEPB module output to the EPB switch: open - 4.0 volts/closed - 2.5 volts.
59-CG15 (BN/BU) EPB switch groundContinuity between the EPB switch and the Hall-effect sensor, less than 5 ohms resistance to ground.
631S-CG14 (BK/GN) yellow EPB indicator lamp groundContinuity between the switch and the EPB module, less than 5 ohms resistance to ground (supplied by the EPB module) when the switch is illuminated.
775-CG14 (YE/GN) yellow EPB indicator lamp powerPower supplied from CJB fuse 7 (5A), hot at all times.
88-CG15 (WH/BU) EPB module to EPB switch apply circuitEPB module output to the EPB switch: open - 4.0 volts/closed - 2.5 volts.

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Module C4205a

graphic

130-CG16 (RD/BU) power to the EPB moduleGreater than 10 volts at all times supplied by BJB fuse 19 (30A), hot at all times.
233-CG19 (YE/VT) EPB actuator motor (-)EPB switch at rest: half of B+ voltage/EPB switch applying: 0 volts/EPB switch releasing: B+ voltage.
332-CG19 (WH/VT) EPB actuator motor (+)EPB switch at rest: half of B+ voltage/EPB switch applying: B+ voltage/EPB switch releasing: 0 volts.
431-CG16 (BK/BU) EPB module ground0 volts and less than 5 ohms resistance to ground.

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Module C4205b

graphic

231S-CG14 (BK/GN) yellow EPB indicator lamp groundContinuity between the switch and the EPB module, less than 5 ohms resistance to ground (supplied by EPB module) when the switch is illuminated.
48-GC20 (WH/VT) Hall-effect signalVoltage varies between 0 and 4.4 volts directly with EPB actuator rotation.
58-CG15 (WH/BU) EPB module to the EPB switch apply circuitEPB module output to the EPB switch: open - 4.0 volts/closed - 2.5 volts.
610-CG15 (GY/VT) EPB module to the EPB switch release circuitEPB module output to the EPB switch: open - 4.0 volts/closed - 2.5 volts.
107-CG20 (YE/VT) Hall-effect sensor powerApproximately 2 volts less than battery voltage, output from the EPB module to the EPB sensor.
129-CG20 (BN/WH) Hall-effect sensor and switch ground0 volts, less than 5 ohms resistance to ground (supplied by the EPB module).

Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Actuator C4206

graphic

132-CG19 (WH/VT) EPB actuator motor (+)PB switch at rest: half of B+ voltage/EPB switch applying: B+ voltage/EPB switch releasing: 0 volts.
37-CG20 (YE/VT) Hall-effect sensor powerApproximately 2 volts output from the EPB module to the EPB sensor.
48-CG20 (WH/VT) Hall-effect signalVoltage varies between 0 and 4.4 volts directly with EPB actuator rotation.
59-CG20 (BN/WH) Hall-effect sensor ground0 volts and less than 5 ohms to ground.
633-CG19 (YE/VT) EPB actuator motor (-)EPB switch at rest: half of B+ voltage/EPB switch applying: 0 volts/EPB switch releasing: B+ voltage.

Shawn, Technician
Experience: 16 years in the Automotive Industry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI

JUST GOT THE CAR BACK TO CHECK

TO TEST ABOVE PASSED

I FOUND OUT THE HAPPENED WHEN THE HEATER CONTROL VALVE WENT OUT

ARE THEY CONNECTED

I ALSO HEARD YOU HAVE TO REPRPGRAM COMPUTER TO SOLVE PROBLEM

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

If installing a new EPB module, the module must be configured. They are not connected.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

NNO IT IS THE OLD ONE

BUT I FOUND OUT THE BATTERY HAS BEEN REPLAACED

DOES EM MODULE NEED TO BE RESET

IF SO WHAT IS PROCEDURE

THANKS

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
What module are you referring to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
EPB
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply, the instructions are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below). hope this helps you out.

Programmable Module Installation (PMI) Instructions Click Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I DID FIND A CODE U1262 IN ANOTHER SECTION ON MODIS

WOULD THIS CREATE A PROBLEM

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
Yes most likely.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I GOT IT FROM MESSAGE CENTER CODES

WHERE WOULD YOU GO TO LOOK FOR PROBLEM

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Communications Network Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index

DTCDescriptionSource
P1233Fuel Pump Driver Module Disable or Off Line (Fuel Pump Driver Module)PCM
U1262SCP (J1850) Communication Bus FaultNetwork Fault
U1262SCP (J1850) Communication Bus FaultInstrument Cluster
U1262SCP (J1850) Communication Bus FaultABS/TC Module
U1262SCP (J1850) Communication Bus FaultMessage Center
U1950UBP Communication Bus FaultParking Aid Module

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IS THERE A ADJUSTMENT ON THE PARK BRAKE

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

Parking Brake Actuator

Removal

NOTE: The electronic parking brake (EPB) system must be reset following the EPB system reset procedure if the battery has been discontinued. Refer to Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) Resetting in the diagnostic section.

1. Release the tension on the parking brake cables by connecting the diagnostic tool to the vehicle and following the diagnostic tool instructions to slacken the EPB cables.
  2. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. Separate the EPB actuator cable from the parking brake cable and conduits at the equalizer.
  3. Release the EPB actuator cable grommet from the subframe.
  4. Disconnect the EPB actuator electrical connector.
  5. Remove the 2 EPB actuator assembly bolts.
    • To install, tighten to 23 Nm (17 lb-ft).
  6. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this thing has me stumped

i am missing something

park brake works fine

but the service park brake message in on and amber park brke light stays on

but brake aplies properly and release properly

what am i missing

thanks for your help

i will give you another fee if it will help

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Normal Operation

The anti-lock brake system/traction control (ABS/TC) module, dual automatic temperature control (DATC) module, audio control module (ACM), rear electronic module (REM), front electronic module (FEM), electronic parking brake module, driver seat module (DSM), driver door module (DDM), navigation system module, and the instrument cluster communicate with the diagnostic tool through the SCP communications network circuits. The powertrain control module (PCM) communicates with all modules on the SCP communications network. If one of the SCP communications network circuits become shorted to ground or voltage, or if some but not all termination resistors are lost, communications can continue. If a module is lost due to internal concerns, communications can continue to all other modules. Check the SCP communications network circuits between the PCM C175b, ACM C290c, ABS/TC module C155, DATC module C228a, instrument cluster C220b, navigation system module C4209, electronic parking brake module C4205b, DDM C501a, DSM C341c, FEM C201c, REM C420b, and the data link connector (DLC) C251. The total resistance values must not be more than 5 ohms. If the resistance is more than 5 ohms there is an open in one or both SCP communications network circuits, damage to the PCM C175b, ACM C290c, ABS/TC module C155, DATC module C228a, instrument cluster C220b, navigation system module C4209, electronic parking brake module C4205b, DDM C501a, DSM C341c, FEM C201c, REM C420b, in-line C315, interior auxiliary junction box (AJB) C283a, interior AJB C283b, interior AJB C283c, interior AJB C283d, joint connector No. 4 C223, joint connector No. 5 C427 and the DLC C251. If, after individual checks of each circuit leading to a module show resistance values less than 5 ohms and no in-line connector issues present, the diagnostic tool data link test must be run with the module in question disconnected. If the data links diagnostics test passes with the module in question disconnected, the module is the source of the concern and should be removed and a new module installed.

Possible Causes

• SCP communications network circuits
  • interior AJB C283a
  • interior AJB C283b
  • interior AJB C283c
  • interior AJB C283d
  • joint connector No. 4 C223
  • joint connector No. 5 C427
  • in-line C315
  • DLC C251
  • ABS/TC module
  • PCM
  • DATC module
  • ACM
  • FEM
  • REM
  • DSM
  • DDM
  • instrument cluster
  • navigation system module
  • electronic parking brake module
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i cleared codes and they did not come back but the amber park brake light is on and the service park brake message is still there

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for the reply, the problem is most likely with the message center itself,see diagram below. The parking brake control switch is hardwired directly to the parking brake module. The status of the parking brake switch is sent from the parking brake module to the instrument cluster over the communication network. The base brake system status is monitored by the ABS module and sent to the instrument cluster over the communication network.

graphic