Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
10437779

1998 Lincoln Towncar sometimes starts sometimes not, no fuel

Customer Question

1998 Lincoln Towncar sometimes starts sometimes not, no fuel replaced fuel pump and fuel pump relay
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

I know you stated you have no fuel but since the engine is cranking we need to check for fuel and ignition. There is a fuel rail test port you can hook a gage up to or just depress the center of it to see if there is fuel. Just be careful when doing this as if fuel is present it will be under pressure. You can also try spraying some carb cleaner into the air intake tube and have an assistant start the engine to see if it will run on the spray. Also try holding your foot on t he gas to see if it will run. I also see issues with the PCM/EEC power relay or the crank sensor/ connector all causing intermittent crank no starts. The PCM relay is located in the row of relays next to the fuse box in the engine compartment. Try tapping on it or replace it as they are not expensive. The crank sensor is located next to the pulley behind the a/c compressor. Wiggle that connector as I see issues with the connector pins.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no fuel pressure in fuel rail and will run by spraying carb cleaner in air intake. sometimes I can get it to start and it will run for hours until I shut it off again. does the crank sensor have anything to do with the fuel pump starting?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Yes but if you spray starting fluid and it runs then this is usually a fuel delivery problem. You should check the connection to the inertia switch to make sure you have power going to it. You may just have a faulty new fuel pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no power to pump since car will run for hours when started and will drive fine,fuel pump seems fine
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Next time the problem happens we need to check for power to the pump then see if we have fuel pressure to determine the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
When that happened there was no fuel pressure and no power to the pump
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Ok then we need to trace power back to that inertia switch and then from the relay. The relay is supplied power and the PCM will energize the relay. Power is then sent from the relay to the inertia switch and then to the pump.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where is the inertia switch located
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay as your question got lost on the site. This switch is located in the trunk.