Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 20+ Years

I have a 2000 Lincoln Town Car with a crank no start, no fuel

I have a 2000 Lincoln Town Car with a crank no start, no fuel pressure if I apply power and ground to the fuel pump the pump will run and the vehicle will start and run with no problems. I am one of the BMW Experts on this site also and I have the factory manuals for 2003 and up but nothing for 2000 MY.
Can you supply me with the electrical diagram for this vehicle? And also give me some guidance as to what might be the problem here.
Thank you,
XXXXXXXXXX
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

click here to view the wiring for fuel pump circuit

is the theft light flashing rapidly with key on?

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No anti theft light flashing.

any codes in the computer?

Paul

Edited by Paul M Lincoln Tech ASE Master Tech on 10/7/2010 at 8:48 PM EST

if you unplug the fuel pump relay and jumper pins 3 and 5 (the switch side)

does it run?

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No codes stored at all, looking at the wiring diagram the PCM Power Relay supplies power to Pin # XXXXX of the fuel pump relay. The ground side goes off the page so not sure where that is coming from. The DK Green /Yel wire from PIN # XXXXX then supplies power to the fuel pump as long as I have power on Pin # XXXXX from the fuse.

If for some reason I don't have power coming from the PCM Relay what is controling that relay?

I know the relay itself is good because I swapped it out with another similiar relay.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am going to try jumping those pins now and I will let you know what happens.

ok I will be waiting

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Jumping pins 3 & 5 the fuel pump does not run. I do have battery voltage on Pin # XXXXX

with the jumper installed check for power going into the inertia switch on the dark green/yellow and coming out of the inertia switch on the pink/light blue

make sure the inertia switch is not tripped

the inertia switch is at the left rear of the vehicle (in the trunk)

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just checked the pink wire coming out of the shut off switch in the trunk and it had 11.00 volts.

how many volts coming into the switch?

if its more coming in then out try jumping the connector and see what happens

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The same voltage coming in and out. With the cutoff bypassed I checked voltage to the pump and it started a 4 volts and slowly climbed up to about 9 volts.

unplug the fuel pump connector and check voltage at the connector? (use a good ground do not use the fuel pump ground)

is it battery voltage?

you should check power and ground at the fuel pump connector separately

does the pink/light blue (have battery voltage at the fuel pump connector? with key on)

if you recheck it using the fuel pump ground wire the black does voltage drop?

sounds like you may have a poor ground to the fuel pump try jumping a good ground to the black wire and see if it runs

let me know I am running out to the bank really quick and will be back in 30 minutes.

you either have a poor ground.. or a poor power wire somewhere you need to test them individually to find out which is to blame

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Were is the connector the harness runs to the top of the fuel tank and then I loose site of it.

try jumpering a good ground to the ground wire if that allows it to run then you need to repair the ground if not let me know and I will get back with you when I get home in 20 minutes

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried checking it with a seperate ground and power supply hooked up, still not running. Opened up the connector and on the body side of the harness I have 12.6 volts but once I plug it back in it drops down to 9 volts. I tried running jumper wires again straight from the battery positive and ground and the pump is not running now like it did before. I guess I must have just gotten lucky to have it run the 1st time I jumped it.

Looks like it needs a fuel pump wouldn't you agree.

as long as the ground is good then yes it would be the fuel pump.

so if adding a ground directly from the battery did not help replace the pump

with the connector unplugged and meter between pink/light blue and black (if you get battery voltage with key on then it can only be the pump or a short between the harness and the pump

Paul

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I agree paul thanks for your help and if you ever need any BMW help drop me a PM.

Thank's again,

George

Ok george will do.

Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech 20+ Years