Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician
Experience:  Lincoln Senior Master

Lincoln LS 2002 V6 3.0L Hydraulic fan and pump both had leaks.

Customer Question

Lincoln LS 2002 V6 3.0L Hydraulic fan and pump both had leaks. Replacing with electric fan need to know the routing of serpentine belt to delete or bypass hydraulic pump. A viable solution is needed as new fan is ready to go in now.
Is there an idle pulley that will replace the hydraulic pump? Really would like to delete the pump totally.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

As far as I know there is no delete kit on the market as of yet. I have heard about alternators going out from installing electric fans. Here is a link to a thread regarding the correct belt to use for bypassing the pulley.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, first the link you supplied is not for the V6 (I already read that forum and it was not helpful). The belt will run on top of itself without a replacement for the position of the pump. If Ford put out a kit they would have to admit that the system was flawed. I also read about taking ou the pump and one guy said to replace the pump with a Alternator Pulley???????? No explaination on how to use an alternator pulley with no braket for support????????

The alternator is more than sufficient for low draw. The over compensation of the hydraulic pump was proven unneccessary.

If you have some information as a Lincoln Senior Master Tech that is relavant to the situation (other than Lincoln replacing pump with new) please advise. We do not want to keep the pump in the vehicle. It leaks (see original message) we cannot simply run the in and out hoses in loop because the pump leaks and this will only burn out the pump and who knows what else.

Thank you will wait for your reply,

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I have never seen this done. I know they changed over in 03. I looked over the 03 diagrams and it almost looks like they changed the front cover to rework the accessory drive configuration. I was thinking you could try to change yours to the 03 design but I don't think its possible with the 02 front cover. It might be worth the effort to stop in at a ford parts department and compare some part numbers for the 02 to the 03 for the front cover. If the front covers have the same part number then I would have them check part numbers for the pulleys to see if any of them match up. I really think the covers are different and water pump placement is different. I would check but I don't have access to the ford master part cross reference database.

2002 accessory drive:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

ItemPart NumberDescription
18C647Hydraulic fan pump pulley
28A528Water pump pulley
36C348Belt idler pulley
43D673Power steering pump pulley
58620Drive belt
619D784A/C clutch pulley
76B209Drive belt tensioner
86316Crankshaft vibration damper
910A352Generator pulley

2003 Configuration::

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

ItemPart NumberDescription
119A216Belt idler pulley-unflanged
210A352Generator pulley
38509Water pump pulley
46B209Drive belt tensioner
53D673Power steering pump pulley
619D748A/C clutch pulley
76316Crankshaft vibration damper

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We knew the layout already. You can see by just digram that the removal of the hydraulic pump would place the belt back on itself without a pulley in place of the pump.

With all the problems this pump produced for 2002 LS owners I found it hard to believe that with 25 years in Ford you have never had a owner request to change to electric. If our pump was not leaking the easy fix would be to loop the in and out hoses and just let the pump remain. Of course the potential increase in horespower would be lost.
I am afraid I have to ask you to Opt out and place this pback in the open market so perhaps someone else can address this belt problem. It has been done but no direct info on how to reroute the belt has been found.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.