ironmike
ironmike, MASTER TECH ASE /FORD
Experience:  30 years, Ford master certified
11302663

2000 lincoln town car: trac..car wont..lights come..speedometer

Customer Question

2000 lincoln towncar trac light/abs coming on car car wont run right when lights come on speedometer jumps. replaced wheel sensors that computer said were bad replaced abs/module pump. nothing, still comes on, cleaned connectors on wheel sensors. still doing it. need help good luck

thank you

lanny
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  ironmike replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
ironmike :

greetings

Customer :

hi

ironmike :

what happens first, the abs/trac light or the running rough?

Customer :

abs trac light

ironmike :

what are the trouble codes

Customer :

about the same time

Customer :

shows left rear wheel sensor

ironmike :

do you have the code?

Customer :

no

ironmike :

most parts places will scan for free

ironmike :

If you get the code I can look over the diagnostic chart and see what possible causes we are looking at

ironmike :

I am looking through bulletins now

Customer :

the service engine light doesnt come on have had it to two diff mechanics to no avail

ironmike :

Many times a misfire will cause the trac/abs light to go on

ironmike :

but that would not explain the L/R sensor code

ironmike :

you may have 2 issues

Customer :

comes on at 45 miles per hour engine is not missing computer

ironmike :

car wont run right when lights come on speedometer jumps

ironmike :

what do you mean then

ironmike :

codes will help a ton

Customer :

they said the code was for a left rear wheel sensor which they replaced then it showed a right rear wheel sensor which they replaced none of these fiixed the problem and then they said it could only be the abs/modulator pump which i bought and had replaced yesterday but did not fix the problem .

ironmike :

we need all the codes to see if there is a communication issue. The cluster is central point of the computer network

Customer :

dont have and can't get

ironmike :

since the speedo jumps it maybe a software issue or the cluster having problems getting info from the abs or trans speed sensor.

ironmike :

most parts places will scan for free

ironmike :

in the usa

ironmike :

you can try checking the cluster connection

Customer :

they said that if the service engine light doesn't come on their scanners won't pick up the code auto zone tried and couldn't pick up the code that's why i took it to the mechanics

ironmike :

I would try checking the cluster and making sure there is a good tight connection with the pins. The dealers have the scanner that can access all the systems and even reprogram, that might be the only way to know for sure.

ironmike :

The guy might have said the abs module because the PCM and abs modules are not communicating.

Customer :

so you say that the instrument cluster would cause the trac light to come on and the abs light which in turn would cause the computer to think that one tire is messing up and cause the sensor to tell the computer to brake

ironmike :

The abs/trac lights would come on if the PCM and the ABS module cannot communicate

Customer :

it ended up being a short in one of the in front of the car

Customer :

it ended up being a short in one of the wires in front of the car.