Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Lincoln Technician
Experience:  Lincoln Senior Master

2010 lincoln mks: transmission slips..hard shifts..low speed..3rd gear

I have a brand new 2010 Lincoln MKT (6600 miles on it). Every so often the transmission slips and hard shifts usually at low speed 2nd or 3rd gear. It does not do it all the time--- in 1500 miles it did it about 25 times. The dealer, when I take the car in for service can't dupicate the problem, because it happens so infrequently. Also, I have experienced down shifting at 70 miles per hour with the cruise on and sometimes the cruise control shuts itself down. I had this happen 6 times in a row and I just kept resetting the cruise--finally it stoped happening. I have also had this problem without the cruise control on and it seems like I have to give it more gas to keep up with traffic. Any thoughts or ideas on the problems.
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I have seen 1 of these as well as A 2010 Taurus SHO with similar complaints. Both of them I had to replace transmission range sensors on. No codes similar symptoms. Had to install a vehicle data recorder in both of them to get a snapshot of the range sensor data at the time of the symptom. One of them took over 3 weeks of the customer driving to get a good snapshot of the data. The range sensor would intermittently show neutral when the problem was occurring. I have seen neither car back since replacing the sensor.