CTLincolnTech
CTLincolnTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Lincoln Mercury Certified

AC/Heater Blower Motor on 2001 Lincoln Town Car does not work

Customer Question

AC/Heater Blower Motor on 2001 Lincoln Town Car does not work at all. Have replaced with new blower motor and still does not work at all. Have tested both the old and new blower motors by hooking straight to battery and both work. Have also tested voltage at blower motor electrical connector. Have nearly 12 volts and voltage decreases on the ground side as the fan speed switch is increased going to 0 volts when the speed is at maximum high setting. I would think that the speed resistor is working properly but when connector is plugged back to blower motor, it just will not do anything?
Category: Lincoln
Expert:  CTLincolnTech replied 4 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be the Lincoln Expert assisting you today.

Very common on the Lincoln Towncar is the blower motor speed controller going bad. The speed controller is located on the very end of the heater box on the firewall behind the engine. It is a little hidden and be difficult to locate as it is behind some heater hoses. What I recommend doing is tapping in the controller with a hammer and screwdriver as they tend to start working after they are jarred. I am almost certain this is the problem. The blower motor electrical system works a little different on the Town car than most other cars.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there any way I can test the speed controller to be sure before I go and buy a new one? I have heard that the climate control module in the dash is also known to give problems on these cars.. Just want to narrow it down before I spend more money.. as I have already spent $100 on new blower motor and many hours of my labor!!

Thanks for your time!!

Remove the connector on the speed controller and use a jumper wire and jump the orange wire with red stripe and black wire. If the blower works, you will have to remove the A/C control module in the dash and test Measure the resistance between the EATC module C227 pin 24, circuit 754 (Light green/White wire) and the blower motor speed control C169 pin 3, circuit 754 (Light green/White), and measure the resistance between the EATC module C227 pin 24, circuit 261 (Orange/Black) and ground. If the resistance less than 5 ohms between the EATC module and the blower motor speed control and greater than 10,000 ohms between the EATC module and ground, replace the speed controller. The testing can get complicated so I tried to break it down to the simplest form.