Bamaman39
Bamaman39, Technician
Experience:  10 years Ford tech. Master diesel tech
17239397

I have a 04 Lincoln Aviator with whinning noise coming from

I have a 04 Lincoln Aviator with whinning noise coming from my power steering pump. I have changed the pump twice with no change. Do I need to bleed the lines to get possible air out of the lines or is there something else I need to do?

hi, if you have squealing or squeeking,try this additive and this procedure if it still persists then the steering rack(gear) is going south ...guy

Steering - Squeaking Noises When Turning Steering Wheel
Notes

TSB 06-5-16

03/20/06

STEERING GEAR SQUEAK WHEN TURNING THE
STEERING WHEEL DURING LOW SPEED PARKING
MANEUVERS

FORD:
2003-2005 Thunderbird

LINCOLN:
2003-2005 Lincoln LS, Aviator

This article supersedes TSB 4-10-1 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE
Some 2003-2005 Thunderbird, Aviator, and Lincoln LS vehicles may exhibit steering gear squeak when turning the steering wheel, especially during low speed parking maneuvers. The noise may sound like it is coming from the steering column area and may be felt as a roughness in the steering wheel, while turning.

ACTION
Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE USE ONLY THE FLUID AND ADDITIVE SPECIFIED IN THIS ARTICLE. USING ANY OTHER FLUIDS OR ADDITIVES MAY RESULT IN SEAL DETERIORATION AND LEAKS.

1.Open the hood and remove the power steering reservoir cap.

2.Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 100-00.

3.With engine off, drain power steering fluid by disconnecting steering lines and clamp plate from steering gear. Refer to Steering Gear Removal and Installation procedure in Workshop Manual, Section 211-00, follow only the steps required to disconnect the steering lines.

4.Turn steering wheel lock-to-lock to drain fluid completely.

5.Reconnect steering lines and clamp plate to steering gear. Torque retainer to 15 N.m (11 lb-ft) for Lincoln LS and Thunderbird, torque to 25 N.m (18 lb-ft) for Aviator.

6.Lower vehicle.

7.In a clean container mix 50 ml (10 teaspoons or 1.7 oz.) of Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier, Part Number XL-3, with 50 ml of Motorcraft MERCON(R) Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid, Part Number XT-2-QDX.

NOTE DO NOT PERFORM STEPS 8 AND 9 ON A HOT VEHICLE.

8.Pour the above mixture into the power steering reservoir.

9.Top off (fill) the power steering system with Motorcraft MERCON(R) Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid, Part Number XT-2-QDX and reinstall the power steering reservoir cap.

10.Raise vehicle on hoist enough so the front wheels are off the ground and can be turned from lock-to-lock.

11.Start the engine and keep it at idle. Remain inside of the vehicle.

12.Slowly cycle the steering wheel from lock-to-lock for two (2) minutes.

13.Quickly and forcefully turn the steering wheel in one direction to full lock (either side). Bounce the steering wheel on/off of full lock twenty (20) times forcefully.

NOTE IT IS CRITICAL THAT THE STEERING WHEEL IS TURNED QUICKLY AND FORCEFULLY IN ORDER TO CREATE A PRESSURE SPIKE IN THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM.

14.Repeat Step 13 in the other direction. Return the steering wheel to on center position.

.Slowly turn steering wheel to full lock in one direction (either direction) to achieve maximum pump pressure. Hold at full lock for one (1) second, then turn the steering wheel back 90 degrees as quickly as possible. Repeat this procedure twenty (20) times.

NOTE DO NOT HOLD THE STEERING WHEEL AGAINST THE STOPS FOR MORE THAN THREE TO FIVE (3-5) SECONDS AT A TIME. DAMAGE TO THE POWER STEERING PUMP MAY OCCUR.

16.Repeat Step 15 in the other direction.

17.Cycle the steering wheel slowly for 1 minute to confirm that the squeak is corrected and return vehicle to the customer.

NOTE IF THE SQUEAK CONTINUES, REPEAT STEPS 13-16 ONE ADDITIONAL TIME. IF THE SQUEAK IS STILL NOT CORRECTED PROCEED TO STEP 18.

18.If the squeak is still present after performing Step 17, replace the steering gear. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 211-00 for removal and installation procedures.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME 060516A 2003-2005 Thunderbird, 0.8 Hr. Aviator and Lincoln LS - Drain And Refill Power Steering System Following Service Procedure (Includes Time To Repeat Steps 13-16 If Necessary) (Do Not Use With 3504A, 3001A, 3001A1, 3001A6) 060516B 2003-2005 Thunderbird, 2.2 Hrs. Aviator 4X2 and Lincoln LS - Drain And Refill Power Steering System Following Service Procedure (Includes Time To Repeat Steps 13-16 If Necessary) And Replace Steering Gear (Includes Time To Perform Fill Procedure And To Check And Correct Toe) (Do Not Use With 3504A, 3001A, 3001A1, 3001A6) 060516B 2003-2005 Aviator 4X4 - 2.3 Hrs. Drain And Refill Power Steering System Following Service Procedure (Includes Time To Repeat Steps 13-16 If Necessary) And Replace Steering Gear (Includes Time To Perform Fill Procedure And To Check And Correct Toe) (Do Not Use With 3504A, 3001A, 3001A1, 3001A6)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The noise is constant or higher pitched the higher the RPMs. The noise doesn't get worse when the wheel is turned.

Thank you for using just answer.

Different tech here.

I think you have another issue. I have saw this in the shop before. Turns out it was a idle pulley and belt. I would take the belt off and turn the pulleys. See if you hear the noise coming from a pulley. If no noise put the belt back on. With the motor running spray wd40 or belt dressing on the belt see if the noise goes away. If if was a pump or rack it would make the noise when turning the wheel. Let me know

Bamaman39, Technician
Experience: 10 years Ford tech. Master diesel tech