Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

Is there statute of limitation lender to required home

Customer Question

is there statute of limitation for a lender to required home owner insurance here in Florida
Category: FL Real Estate
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 months ago.
The law is here. See §95.11(2)(b) at that link which says the limitations period is 5 years for breach of written contract. So if the mortgage agreement requires home owner's insurance and you have not had it, for say, the past 10 years and now the lender want to force you to pay for coverage that it bought on your behalf for the past 7 years; then the lender would be limited to only going back for 5 years. It could not claim all 7 years of non-payment.