Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez, Lawyer/Title Agent
Experience:  Managing Member at EWF Title, LLC
93419235

I bought my house in June 2014. I didn't know I had to

Customer Question

Hi
I bought my house in June 2014. I didn't know I had to apply for home exemption I thought that was done automatically since we did an fha. Now they raised the tax value of the house more than 60,000 and my Morgage bill increased about $200/month. Can I apply for home exemption and get a credit for the past years?
Category: FL Real Estate
Expert:  Michael Gonzalez replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes.

You should complete all required forms and applications for the exemption and file them with your county property appraiser. If the property appraiser denies your application, you may file a petition with the county’s value adjustment board. For more information, see http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/property/brochures/pt101.pdf

That said, I would recommend consulting an attorney to represent you and protect your interests.