FLRealEstateAnswer
FLRealEstateAnswer, Attorney
Experience:  Experience handling landlord/tenant issues, mortgage foreclosures, eviction, purchase and sale agreements
9540344

Here is my situation. I am purchasing a house, I have a

Customer Question

Here is my situation. I am purchasing a house, I have a signed contract and I have already inspected the house. My inspection period date ends on the 12th of Jan. 2016. My inspector have found a roof leak, loose tiles on the roof and a couple of other things that needs to be fixed. The question here is which would be better for me as a buyer: to extend the inspection period of time and have the seller fix all the problems (while in a inspection period) or write a addendum to the contract that the seller needs to repair all the problems (seller already agreed to repair).
Category: FL Real Estate
Expert:  FLRealEstateAnswer replied 10 months ago.

The goal is to get the seller to make all the repairs. If they agree to this and will sign the addendum and allow you to inspect the repairs again once they are done, it could provide you with protection. This way, if they fail to 1) do the repairs or 2) perform them in a satisfactory way, you could then break the contract and back out and not have to close. Ideally, you want them to agree to fix everything and allow the work to be inspected, so that you do not have any problems related to it, after you close. If the inspection found everything that was wrong and they agree to do this, then you just want a chance to make sure it is done properly and before closing.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Would of been a good idea to put a time frame on the addendum for repairs to take place plus choosing my own contractor for the repairs?

Yes, it would. However, they MAY not agree to allow you to select your own contractor, if they think the cost will be higher then someone they select. You can see if they will agree but they do not have to. Also, a reasonable time to make these repairs, so give them a time frame to do it and if needed, have them agree to extend the date for closing, if there is a delay in this. If you wanted to pick your own contractor, you can also see if they would be willing to just give you a credit at closing to apply towards this and/or lower the price to reflect it, so it can be closed sooner.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!