Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Real Estate Law
19127644

A few years ago I purchased a condo that was paid cash by my

Customer Question

Hello. A few years ago I purchased a condo that was paid for in cash by my mother and grandmother but my mother wanted it in my name. My name alone is on the deed and I was wondering if i am within my legal rights to sell it. My mother said she could sue
me and take it back because she paid for it. Is that true?
Category: FL Real Estate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the Special Warranty Deed and HUD statement but the site is not letting me upload them.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. If your name is ***** ***** one on the deed then you have an absolute right to dispose of the property as you choose. However, if there is a separate written agreement that says you have to pay your family back should you sell the property, or pay them back period, then they could enforce that. Absent that though, the law presumes the payment was a gift.

Please feel free to ask for clarification. If none is needed, if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for my work. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 15th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.