Rusty
Rusty, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years electronics experience. How may I help you today?
63817454

We have a Horizon T101. It started to work intermittently.

Customer Question

We have a Horizon T101. It started to work intermittently. It would stop running midrun and report E1 error. If I restarted and jiggled the motor control board connection wires, the motor would start again, then stop when I let go. Bad contacts. I cleaned the pins with isopropyl alcohol, but the plastic connector was loose, so I shimmed the interior of the socket with a piece of thin plastic tape. It is a solid connection now.
However today my wife reported a hiccup in the run, where the motor stopped very briefly, then kept running.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does this sound like just the connection? Would a better contact cleaner work better?
Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.

Ok, what type of plastic connector are you working with? Is it a molex connector? Click here to see one of those if you're not sure.

The problem with the plastic connectors is, when they heat up from being used, the pins tend to spread out. I don't think contact cleaner is what you need, but Deoxit is the stuff we use these days. Check the individual pins, and make sure they each make good contact. It sounds like that's exactly where the problem is, it's a loose contact. Since you shimmed it and it worked, the hiccup was caused by vibration, and a connector came loose briefly. Those pins should fit together snug.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is the type of connector, but these are quite small. 4 pins in 1/4" x 1/4" connector. Is Deoxit available at RadioShack? The individual pins go into individual holes in the plastic piece, so there is no way to verify that they are touching, except by whether the treadmill works or not. I think I'll try the Deoxit, unless you have another idea.
Expert:  Rusty replied 5 months ago.

Yes, but I would buy it at Best Buy, or Frys, Radio Shack will price gouge you.

Those are the types of connectors that spread out. You can use needle nose pliers to pinch the female ends closer together. Deoxit won't save you from a spread pin. Be careful that you don't pinch it too far, but you want the connection to be tight. If you accidentally pinch it too far, use the end of the pliers to spread them slightly, just enough so the male pin will spread it the rest of the way.

Those connectors need maintenance, and there's even a special tool just for fixing those things. They are poorly designed, and widely used. I'm convinced that is where the problem is.