Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

My octane q47ci won't power on. I came back from vacation

Customer Question

my octane q47ci won't power on. I came back from vacation and the LED lights on the upper display are blank. The wall outlet is fine.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Octane q47ci. probably 5 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I can't remember when I got it. It's only been happening for a few days. Left for vacation a week ago and returned to find it not working. I have tested the plug and the power brick. It is reading 24.2 volts...brick says 22-24. looked at the board near the fly wheel. Everything there looks to be in order. It has a red light near the power input and a small green light in the lower left corner. I pulled the LED display panel and everything seems to be right there as well. nothing that is obvious fried...but I'm not sure how to test that green board. The capacitors in the lower board seem to be okay...they aren't bulging or discolored at all.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

Do you know if there weer any power outages or thunderstorms whilst you were away?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
There was a power outage while I was gone.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

Ok, then it is likely that the machine has suffered some damage from a voltage spike when the power was restored.

This is a common cause of this type of failure.

Do you intend to debug and repair the fault yourself?

Do you have a circuit diagram, soldering iron and other tools available to proceed with this, or are you looking for a repairer in your area?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I would like to repair myself if possible. I don't have a diagram but can probably find one online. Not sure because I haven't looked for it in the past.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

Ok, but you have some experience in carrying out electronic testing, and you have some test equipment available?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Limited experience. I have a good multimeter and am fairly comfortable using it but could use some guidance about where and how to start
Expert:  Pete replied 9 days ago.

Ok let me check if one of the other techs can guide you though this.