treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
32169475

I have a treadmill issue... Reebok v8.90, it just started. I

Customer Question

I have a treadmill issue...
JA: What's the exact make and model of the treadmill?
Customer: Reebok v8.90
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: it just started. I had an issue where the belt flipped over on itself and in doing so the circuit breaker blew. When I got the belt back in proper order, and trend the treadmill on, the motor goes on for one second and then off. I've taken off the bottom cover and can see the LED light...it is on before I hit "speed" on the console, then goes off when the treadmill motor goes on, then blinks rapidly every other second after that.
JA: Anything else you want the equipment expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope.thanks.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 18 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That is so rare a problem, that I cannot imagine what caused it.

I refer specifically to the belt 'flipping over'. It must have been either

A. defective to an unusual degree, and/or

B. much too loose.

By now it is almost certainly defective. But aside from that the stress of 'flipping over' and blowing the circuit breaker, may have damaged more than one component in the treadmill, I'm sorry to say. That's just the sound of it.

However: are you sure you have adjusted the belt back in place, with the right tightness setting? it was obviously wrong before, but is it obviously right, now?

Also, does the belt show signs of damage? (probably. But if so, to what extent?)

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The belt is damaged but still functional. I have already ordered a new belt (it should get here later this week). So, at this point though I'm more interested in the non-functioning of the motor; and what the LED light changing different modes means.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The LED light is on when I turn on power. Turns off essentially when I push the speed button (and the motor turns on for one second) and then flashes 4 time quickly every 3 or 4 seconds.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I need to leave right now and won't be back for about 3-4 hours...I'll look forward to your answer when I get back.

OK. Let me know when you are back, please.

Also: Is there any error code when you get the 4-times-flashing light? showing anywhere on the console.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I'm back. Where would I check for an error code on the console? I ran it through the 5 Levels. At level 2, when I ran the speed button up to 85% it kept beeping and wouldn't let me advance further within that level.I would prefer not to call and spend $26 additional $$ on this consult, so am hoping we can resolve this over text messages like this.

You may ignore the phone call request solicitation - it came from the system not from me, thanks.

The error code on the condole would be spelled out by alphanumeric or LCD displays. It should be obvious - if there is one there at all.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
the code would be displayed in general (not when running through the calibration mode). I just turned the machine off and back on again. Upon turning it on, the console displays as usual (looks normal, like any other day I'd go and run on it).

All right then: Try to produce the error condition - e.g. by trying to turn the treadmill motor on in the normal course of usage. I.e. try to start the belt running (you don't have to be on the machine, you just have to have the safety key properly inserted in place.)

Does anything, no matter how much it may look like gibberish, show on the console in that case?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No. Nothing shows up as an error. The console appears normal as if I am starting to run (time starts up, distance starts up, etc.). Time stays going on even after the motor stops; speed goes to 0.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 17 days ago.

Try making sure the belt is adjusted properly.

The solution that you should try first, is that the belt might need readjusting and lubrication (with the special, non-grease, lubricant these treadmill belts generally require.)

The belt should be adjusted, generally speaking, so that it is loose enough that it does not quite slip, but nearly that loose.

If the belt is adjusted (or, has shrunk up with age, and lack of lubricant...) too tightly, then it can stop the treadmill from working or running. An over-tight treadmill belt can cause wear, or even damage, in many other ways, such as by overheating the motor.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The belt is adjusted fine. So, I was hoping that the LED light behavior (on to begin with, off when motor gets turned on, then blinking 4x every other second after that) would help determine what is specifically going wrong with the treadmill, since I've seen other answers about treadmill issues that reference the LED light behavior.

In this case, I must apologize - I have little experience with Reebok brand treadmills, and I'm not sure what the flashing light means.

Having the belt do what it did, probably damaged some component of the treadmill, I'm sorry to say.

It might be the motor, the motor controller board, or doubtfully a part of the power supply.

Since another Expert might have more to offer, and to give you chance at that information, I have Opted Out of this case (but can still respond.)