treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
32169475

I have an Epic 550 view that was store for almost 2 years.

Customer Question

I have an Epic 550 view that was store for almost 2 years. Upon reassembly, I cannot get either the motor or incline to work -- all electronics seems fine. I checked for loose wires and everything looks fine except a slight tear in a power wire (just through the insulation) which is going around a circular magnet. Since the tear is minor, and the wire looks in tact, I don't believe this to be an issue.
Any thoughts on what could be wrong?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 29 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That 'magnet' in the power wire, is a circular inductor / filter.

What wire is that? the tear in the insulation might be significant, since the motor and the incline (motor-powered) not working, means either a power supply problem (or perhaps, a motor controller board defect, and/or wiring not being quite connected, or being - as is the power wire - damaged.)

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
The wire insulation that is ripped is indeed around the circular inductor. However, it is not shorted to anything so other than missing insulation, I don't see anything wrong. What do you suggest I try to do?

Re-seat all connections... with power Off, and unplugged, of course.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I previously reseated all connections. All connections in tact. Nothing looks unusual on the main board. LED light turns on when powered to board. I too suspect some sort of power problem, but I don't have a multimeter handy.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Unit was previously disassembled. Would any of the motor or incline power lines go to the console screen?

A multimeter would be necessary for judging whether the power supply is providing power to motor(s).

Power lines don't go to the console, only control lines. That's a great generalization, but I think it is by and large true enough.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Can I get a multimeter this weekend and then email you back?