Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

Trimline 7600 from about 2008 everything seems fine except

Customer Question

Trimline 7600 from about 2008 everything seems fine except it fails calibration on speed
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: about 7 years old Sears###-##-####but basically a HEBB Industries Trimline 7600
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just got it out of storage .. it didn't start so I started troubleshooting
JA: Anything else you want the equipment expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Got it to a point where it runs through calibration, inclines up and down but the speed is difficult to set. I have been playing with the potentiometer adjustments on the control board but I don't really know what the procedure is ..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

First, check that the speed sensor is correctly adjusted - try measuring the voltage on the wire from it when the motor is turned and let me know if you get a change in the reading?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The controller board light comes on when the roller rotates. I think the speed controller is working (magnet + sensor, right?)
During the speed calibration it feels like it cannot reach a high enough speed, and then it times out.
Expert:  Pete replied 27 days ago.

If the speed sensor is good, then suspect a problem with the motor.

Is there a buildup of carbon around/under the motor, or is there a burning smell from it?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No burning smell cannot see carbon occasional very slight arc sound as motor accelerates
Expert:  Pete replied 26 days ago.

Can you test the current draw on the motor when it is running and let me know what it is reading?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
As best I can measure it draws about 0.6 A at about 2.5 mph without a load. Its rated at 20A
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I checked the brushes they appear fairly clean and about ¾" in length