treadmilltech
treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon
32169475

Golds Gym Trainer 480. Display won't light up anymore. Was

Customer Question

Golds Gym Trainer 480. Display won't light up anymore. Was getting FF code on the screen with the saftey on. Pretty handy myself but not sure where to start
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Does the machine work in any other ways? or is it 'dead,' seemingly?

How old is the machine? and has it been moved lately?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
5 years old or so. Has been in my basment for the past 3 years now. The Workout light flashes red when I plug it in the display does nothing otherwise

You might need to check the connections of the machine for corrosion, if it has been in a basement for years since it was last used and usable.

Re-seating, after checking, all connections to the console, would be ideal.

Also look for a battery hatch on the underside or back side of the console, and check whether the battery/batteries under it - if there is one there on this model - have leaked or corroded or otherwise failed. If so, that would be the likely cause of the problem.

What do you think of what I just said? your thoughts and observations as to this diagnosis (since I am not there in person) would be valuable.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's not a damp basement at all. I reseated all conectors on the main board under the hood. I did earlier today hold down the stop button for a while when reading another post thinking it would reset the unit. Not sure if that has anything to do with this. Is there a master reset?

See if there is a reset button in a small hole or recess on the underside of the console.

If there is, press it, e.g. with a pencil eraser or similar instrument, and hold it for a few seconds.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No reset button

Then I fear you will need to invest in some repair work for the replacement of some part or parts... perhaps the console itself, given that it is dead but the whole machine isn't.

If you would like I can recommend some local repairers of Gold Gym equipment to you, get their contact information for you, if you would like. Just let me know your locale by zip code or town/city and state.