Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

My nordic track gx 4.5 recumbent bike is stuck on highest

Customer Question

my nordic track gx 4.5 recumbent bike is stuck on highest tension. How can I get it back to resistance level 1?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Just started. Have had the bike for several years.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: adjusting the drive belt. No difference made
JA: The equipment expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no thanks
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Michael replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I m sorry to hear that.

How old is your recumbent bike?

On some of our bikes and ellipticals it is possible to adjust the belt tension. This only needs to be done if you notice that the pedals are slipping. This would feel somewhat like you are suddenly losing resistance and then regaining it within a second or so.

To make any adjustments to your drive belt, you must first remove one of the side shields or the access panel on your exercise equipment. The steps to do this are explained within your User’s Manual.

Once you have opened your exercise equipment you will need to locate your flywheel and idler. A lot of the time these two things will be connected to each other. To make any adjustments you will need the Allen Wrenches or Hex Keys that were used during the assembly of your exercise equipment, or an adjustable wrench.

As you can see in the video below the adjustment is fairly easy to make once you have gained access to the idler adjustment bolts inside.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great evening!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Pedals are not slipping. Only resistance stuck on high, even though it shows Level 1.
Expert:  Michael replied 3 months ago.

Hi, Once you open this one you should be able to see what is causing the problem. Its likley the magnetic resistance component that may need to be adjusted iif it moved, if it is still in position, check to see if there is something else binding.

You can send me pics of the innards on here, that would help greatly.

but if everything else isn't frozen, you will need a new resistance mechanism.

I can help you get that and replace it;-)

First we need to see if anything else is frozen up, let me know on that.

Thank you

Tech Michael