treadmilltech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience repairing exercise equipment with emphasis on Nordictrack/Proform and Horizon

Sure! So I have a ProForm 835QT and I did a incline

Customer Question

JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: So I have a ProForm 835QT and I did a incline calibration, the incline motor will do its thing but ever since I did that it won't move when I use the control panel. It will move only now when I do a incline calibration. So I trying to understand what my next step is
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: ive disconnected all the connectors from the incline motor and reconnected them. I don't know what other troubleshooting I can do. it kinda worked during normal usage before the calibration but the incline motor won't run now at all and only works when I do a incline calibration.
JA: The equipment expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no thank you
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It is possible that you did not finish the calibration procedure properly, leaving the console stuck in a mode that is not the mode of normal operating or running of the machine.

Would you like to approach the problem with that in mind? if so, please Reply To Expert, and let me know, What procedure did you follow, doing the incline calibration?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What I did first was press and hold the speed increase and stop buttons at the same time while inserting the safety key. I then release the buttons and let go of the key, but did not remove it. To get to the calibration mode, I press the stop button one more time and then push the incline up button just one time. This allowed the incline motor go up to its highest point and then come back down and then go back up just a bit and stopped.
Once this movement was done, I remove safety key. I then inserted the key back and the incline feature will not work at all. I am able to redo the calibration sequence again with the motor working but I will not have any luck when wanting to use the treadmill incline.

OK, I see.

From what source did you obtain the instructions for that incline calibration procedure, if I may inquire?

This might be an important point. It may have left a step out, if it was a less-than-reliable source.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

That ( site) page should be reliable as a source for instructions.

However, I need to ask one more question too: What was wrong with the treadmill originally, that caused you to try the calibration procedure on it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The incline stopped going up all the way and just went up a little.

This is by no means certain - it is a guess of sorts - but it may be that your incline calibration procedure was perfect, but the incline motor's controller board was going bad and after the incline, has now become completely defective. (This would only make sense if the 'path' through the circuitry by which calibration motions are ordered, were different from the path by which inline adjustments are ordered - since one works and the other does not.)

Given that this is a reasonable guess, I should ask, How old is the treadmill in question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its about 5 years old

Then it is out of warranty for sure.

It is getting late here in the Eastern Time Zone and I have to quit for the night soon. But before I sign off, I should ask: Are you considering trying to fix the treadmill yourself, or hiring someone else or some service to do the repair work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can do it myself, I was just looking at some websites that sell the board like Is this the board you were talking about?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
for some reason the link isn't working, this is the description is "PROFORM 835 QT TREADMILL POWER SUPPLY BOARD MODEL NUMBER 299481 SEARS MODEL###-##-####This Is The Replacement Power Supply Board For The Proform 835 QT Treadmill. For Model Number:299481, Sears Model###-##-#####34;

(I apologize for not responding sooner - I am in Eastern Time, and had to retire to sleep for a while.)

That is indeed the power board in question.

It has the main or primary transformer, and the two or three heat-sinked regulator components. It couldn't be anything but a power supply board.

But, I would advise you to get a 'motor controller board' instead. Indeed, taking apart the treadmill *first* (unless you have pets or small children about) is the best approach: you can locate the motor controller board and get the part # off of it, to be quite absolutely sure that you get the right component.

The motor controller board for the incline motor is most likely - though, not certain - to be the problem component. Not the power supply, which may be quite OK.