J.T.
J.T., Technician
Experience:  I have over 10 years experience in all fields of fitness equipment repair and service.
16229639

I have opened up the cover of my treadmill with error

Customer Question

I have opened up the cover of my treadmill with error message e21. Is there a diagram of the inside so i can see what the sensor is, etc??
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: nordictrac powertread 1750
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: so it powers up, and starts for a few secs... it moves, then it stops with e21 message.
JA: The equipment expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: it seems like a common issue here, i just dont know what the speed sensor looks like to check, and where the magnet to check is... so wondering if there is a diagram
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
It's a bad Motor control board
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
It's a bad Motor control board
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
Very easy to fix. Just remove the old board with all the wires and install the new board in reverse order.
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
You can order from fitnessrepairparts. Com or Treadmill doctor. Com
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was reading the comments that it could be the speed sensor comma or possibly a magnet? How do I check this
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What I was looking for was some kind of diagram the guts so I can check the things people are telling me to check
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
The Little sensor next to the front roller. There is a Little magnet in the front roller itself. There is a diagram on those web sites I sent but it's not the sensor. Unless you moved the Treadmill and broke the wires. It's your lower board
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
I replace about 30 boards a week
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have moved the treadmill quite a few times when moving homes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It Powers up runs for a few seconds I can increase the speed at cetera and then it stops and gives me the E21 message
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
When was the last time it worked
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have to pay an extra $26 to talk to you on the phone?
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
If it Works one day. Then not the next, and nothing has changed then it's the board. Sensors and wires don't go bad just sitting there. The boards do
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure what the prices are. I have nothing to do with billing. I just get emails when questions are asked in my category.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't tried to use it in Years actually it wouldn't do anything but flicker when I plugged it in and then no power after that. Played around with it a little bit not sure what I did but now all the sudden I do get power and it works just for like I said about 10 seconds then I get the error
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a way I can take a picture of something specific and send it to you on here and if you want after that we can get on the phone
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay let me go take a quick look at it give me a few minutes
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
Then most likely the board is fried from sitting so long. Honestly being that old it may not be cost effective to Repair. Lots of Parts go bad just from sitting. Belts, bearings etc.
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
Treadmills only last 8-10 years. And being a Nordic track they are the very low end of Quality treadmills.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the average cost of a board see if it's worth fixing or just getting a new one
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
Usually a few hundred
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
If it's even available. Check those sites for prices and availability
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
Honestly I would just put it on craigslist and try to get a couple bucks for it and look for a new one. Then you have a Warranty
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The guts are really filthy so I'm just going to scrap this and get a new one but thank you for your help
Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.
No problem have a great day