Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Treadmill's line switched off on my circuit breaker (never

Customer Question

Treadmill's line switched off on my circuit breaker (never happened before). When I switched the circuit back on, the treadmill started up, console lit up, all controls seemed OK - until I pressed "Start". Nothing happened. Looked around motor (Johnson) and circuit board, can't see any damage or disconnected wires.
JA: What's the exact make and model of the treadmill?
Customer: Livestrong treadmill model 10.0T, serial # ***** purchased in January, 2011. Motor recently replaced.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Unplugged, looked for visible signs of disconnect or "frying"; everything looks fine.
JA: The equipment expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, just to repeat: This happened after the treadmill tripped a circuit breaker - something it never did before.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Fitness Equipment Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Unfortunately, if the treadmill tripped a breaker (as opposed to your having switched it Off by the breaker), then something considerable may be wrong with it.

What were you doing at the time? running, or just walking? or not driving the belt at all?

If it doesn't trip a breaker now, good... but, have you recently adjusted the belt tension?

If the belt is adjusted (or, has shrunk up with age, and lack of lubricant...) too tightly, then it can stop the treadmill from working or running. An over-tight treadmill belt can cause wear, or even damage, in many other ways, such as by overheating the motor.

The solution that you should try first, is that the belt might need readjusting and lubrication (with the special, non-grease, lubricant these treadmill belts generally require.)

The belt should be adjusted, generally speaking, so that it is loose enough that it does not quite slip, but nearly that loose.