J.T.
J.T., Technician
Experience:  I have over 10 years experience in all fields of fitness equipment repair and service.
16229639

Nordic Track Recumbent GX 4.7 Resistance is intermittent How

Customer Question

Nordic Track Recumbent GX 4.7 Resistance is intermittent
How do I remove the housing? Do I take the pedal crank off? How?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Remove two screws at the bottom of the left-hand housing.

Take the left crank off by taking off the 'endcap' over the screw/bolt that holds it on, etc.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did that - but is the crank screwed on or just fitted to the shaft?

There's a screw through the crank that attaches it to other parts inside, the 'axle' as it were. It is center-mounted. The screw is under a cap, that you have to pry out first.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I see that but is the crank also screwed onto the axil or just slipped onto the axil - should it now just slip off - seems to be tightly held.

The 'axle' seems to have two ends (looking at the diagrams I have) that maybe, perhaps, screw into the cranks. Grasp one crank, and unscrew the other, perhaps??

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your answers up to now have not been helpful. How do I remove the pedal crank -necessary to remove the housing for access to the internal mechanisms..

Aside from what I've explained, I don't know of any way.

Perhaps removing the crank on the other side of the housing might help? or holding onto the unremoved crank to give you leverage to unscrew the other one?

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

I have Opted Out, since I seem to have given an impression of unhelpfulness somehow. This opens the case to other Experts in this category, at no additional charge to you. Thank you for working with me thus far on this matter.

Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.

Hi you need a special tool called a crank puller. You can buy one from any store that sells bicycles. If you go to an actual bike shop they will most likely show you how to do it, or possibly you could bring your bike to them and i bet they would let you borrow it to save the $20 bucks..

Expert:  J.T. replied 5 months ago.

It threads into the outer threads where that plastic cap was held on, then pulls the crank arm off. It is a tapered square shaft so it is held on very tightly.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You gave correct and useful information, However, after Russel failed to answer my question I found the answer from a different source. Therefore I am reluctant to pay the fee.