Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I purchased a NordicTrack elliptical in 2011 from Sears.

Customer Question

Hi I purchased a NordicTrack elliptical in 2011 from Sears. I believe its the iLive series. I haven't used it in several years and when I tried to turn it on it wont start. I can hear the motor making a soft noise but nothing else is happening. Any thoughts on what I can do to trouble shoot or should I leave it to the professionals?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correction, its the iFit Live series.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The symptom of motor noise is unusual. Put your ear to the elliptical and make sure it is coming from the motor.If it is, then the rubber belt connecting the motor to the moving parts that it is supposed to drive may have perished/broken or fallen loose or fallen off. I would advise opening it by removing outer case, accessing the motor, and seeing whetherA. it is indeed turning when you turn it On or start it.B. and whether it is connected to the moving parts, from the turning pulley on the motor to the other moving parts. It is also possible that the linkage, or the belt from the turning pulley on the motor to the moving parts is still there, but either1. is slipping, and the moving parts are jammed somehow, or2. is simply slipping owing to lost tension or other defect in the belt that links them. Let me know if you need further advice, or please rate my answer. Thanks.