Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I have a Nordic Track elliptical machine and I can not change

Customer Question

I have a Nordic Track elliptical machine and I can not change resistance. Machine is 12 years old.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Fitness Equipment Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The resistance control panel with a range of 1-10 does not seem to be working properly and the machine does not change levels when a higher resistance button is pushed. Sometimes after numerous attempts and then some time passes it will switch to higher resistance.
JA: Is there anything else the Fitness Equipment Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The timer works fine and the adjusting incline works well too.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Fitness Equipment Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. It sounds as if the resistance motor control board circuitry may be defective. If it were a different sort of error, it would be likely to not happen at all that it actually works for a bit. Try keeping it cool, and see if that helps with the success rate of getting the resistance settings to work. After that, it's a matter of deciding whether to have it repaired, or replace it and/or donate it perhaps. If you are interested in repair options that are not self-repair, then let me know your zip code or local town/city and state, and I will give you listings to inquire with in your region.If you are only interested in self-repair, let me know, and I will advise you further. Thanks.