Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Pearl, is like to fix my treadmill, I know you charge. Can

Customer Question

Hi pearl, is like to fix my treadmill, I know you charge. Can you guarantee a fix?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Fitness Equipment Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The treadmill is currently turning on for about 30 seconds then showing an error?
JA: Is there anything else the Fitness Equipment Technician should be aware of?
Customer: It does sound like it comes on but does nothing...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Fitness Equipment Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi. I've paid?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Now need assistance please!
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Depending upon what the error is, it may be fixable in one of several ways. If it is error 'E 1', then it may have a problem with the speed sensor inside it, which often slips out of alignment with the moving parts that it is to sense the speed of, which causes that error. But tell me what the error is, please. Also tell me what the maker and model # ***** your treadmill is. And I will advise you appropriately. (Please be warned, that for some errors the fix can be expensive and possibly more expensive than replacement.) Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Russel, thank you for your response! It is a vitess fitness machine? No idea what model though it's not really apparently printed any where! Does say DC motorised treadmill? The error is showing on the speed screen? Not sure if all errors show there? Just says err.
Is there no error number, not even alternating with the 'Err' display ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nothing! But I turned it on earlier and I noticed that when I tried to increase the speed the time moved instead?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have taken the motor housing off and there is also an unoccupied "plug"?
Occupied and unoccupied, how many plugs are there? and how many on the motor itself?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you getting to photos?
Thanks for the photos.That the Err is in the SPEED window, suggests it is an E1 type error or speed sensor error. I don't know the speed sensor type for your model. But, speed sensors are a small component with a cable, or a pair of wires, leading from them to the console.The speed sensor is mounted near a rotating component that turns when the treadmill (or other machine) is in operation. The rotating component either has 'vanes' that the speed sensor straddles (like a U shape, with the vanes passing through the U) and 'reads' optically... or else the rotating component has a magnet on it, that passes near enough to the speed sensor that the speed sensor's switch closes periodically. The speed sensor can become loose on its mounting, or defective. If it does not 'read' the vanes, or pass close enough to the magnet (the gap at closest should be no more than a credit card's thickness) then it needs to be readjusted so that it does. If it still doesn't work, then it may be defective and the sensor may need replacing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Aaaaand when I take the safety key out no error....
That's strange. I have not heard of that before. Try turning it Off, then waiting 2 minutes or so (not less than 1 minute, not more than 5 minutes) and turn it On again, and see if it works (with Safety Key.)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is this the speed sensor?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Everything else looks otherwise occupied?
That small black thing that is mounted in a clip ?Yes, it looks like it. Esp. if the wheel thing to the right, with a pulley around it, has 'vanes'.The question is, would that be magnetic or optical? from the configuration, it could be either one, but I incline to its being magnetic. If there is no corresponding emitter (like a small LED) on the other side of the vanes of the wheel thing to the right, then it may need to be adjusted closer to the passing vanes, so as to register them.
That plug on the board, that is not occupied, it seems OK. It may be a test plug... unless you see a correcponding cord with keyed plug on it that could match it. In which case it's normal enough, if it has no corresponding cord-and-plug. Sometimes electronic design is like that.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If this is the motor there are 3 wires - black, red and green yellow combined.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is also an incline decline motor... I believe this is it because it seems to have some type of hydraulic function. It's working fine.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The grip is also slightly skew?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay so it looks like the sensor is at the correct distance, but look closely at the second picture there seems to be a magnet missing!
The 'grip' as you call it, means the belt needs adjustment. I don't quite see where the missing magnet is seen in your picture. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are 2 spaces for magnets but only one magnet? Hope these photos are clearer!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll adjust the belt.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You there?
Hi - I took a break, sorry.
The white/silver disc on the side of the wheel might be one magnet, yes.
Generally there don't need to be two magnets. Having two is an odd design for sure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hmmm okay that good then. What next?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would the motor start if the sensor was broken?
It wouldn't get far... when a treadmill fails to sense speed, it stops, for safety reasons. Without a speed indicator, it could be overspeeding. This stoppage is quite rapid. But perhaps the Err is not speed, but just appears in the Speed window. I'm not quite sure.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
alright so if it were the sensor it may power up and the stop? Any other ideas?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry! Please excuse my predictive text. I am literate honestly!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Obviously the sensor is the most common fault?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you know the make?
Yes.Information on these treadmills is scanty. And yes, the sensor is the most common fault, though there are others.But an 'Err' is not too specific. It might be anything.You may have to take it to an expert who has worked on Vitesse treadmills, I confess I have not.
In fact, in case another Expert here in this category of JustAnswer has anything to add about Vitesse treadmill Errors, I have Opted Out, opening the case to all other Experts here. Vitesse treadmill Expert needed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Umm alright thanks Russell!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there anyone else here that could help please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Still patiently waiting for assistance here?