Neil, Technician
Experience:  NZCE Electronics and Computing
15873252

I have a Sole F63 Treadmill that will run until I step on it...then

Customer Question

I have a Sole F63 Treadmill that will run until I step on it...then it displays a LS error.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I can turn on the treadmill and as long as I don't step on it, it will continue to run. It will run for maybe 5-10 seconds after stepping on it and then it shuts down with LS Error. The deck appears to be okay and is lubricated. Motor appears to check out. I can hook it up to a drill battery and motor appears to run fine.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Exercise Equipment Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm assuming a motor controller, but is there a way to check this out without just going out and buying one? My thought that as the motor starts to require more torque the controller is not doing what it is supposed to and kicks out a LS Error. Hoping you can give me some advice on how to check items out before just going out and buying things, that may not be bad. I'm assuming it isn't the transformer as that would be bad for the entire system and likely would kick a circuit breaker on the treadmill, but is that a possibility?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
HiSo the Lub is the first thing, if too much friction the unit will stop.... Make sure you are using treadmill deck lub with an even generous amount evenly spread on the entire deck... The second thing is the roller tension... If two loose or too tight then this can also happen.... If too tight then excess current can stop the motor under load... If too loose it slips and trip the speed sensor...If all good then have a close look at the Speed sensor on the front roller... LS is a Low Speed alarm with Sole and is usually a fault in the belt tension/lub or a fault in the speed sensor itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've looked at all of that and seems to be okay. I recently lubed the deck to see if that would help. Is there a way to tell if the motor is lagging once I step on it and making the LS error occur?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As mentioned, it will run continuously until I step on it, so I don't think the LS sensor is faulty. Any way to check this?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
Have you tightened the belt recently
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was given to me not working, so I bought some deck lube, adjusted the the running belt to just about three fingers in the middle, checked the adjustment of the speed sensor. I have also tried loosening and tightening the running belt various ways with no luck. I did not adjust the motor to roller belt, as per the manual should be set to where you can turn about 90 degrees.You can tell that as soon as I step on it, the motor tries to work harder and then LS Error kicks in. I can easily turn the running belt on the deck. I believe it's okay and lubed as required. Is there something to check or go by to verify there isn't too much friction there? Anyway to check the controller to make sure it's providing sufficient power to the motor as I'm loading it up?
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
If it has had a lot of use then the belt itself may be the issue... Or an issue with the deck....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was purchased in 2011 and used a total of about 50 hours since then. It was given to me by my parents. Is there any way to trouble shoot the motor, controller or define how easy the running belt should move? It is easy to move the belt so I don't think that is the issue, doesn't seem like there is too much friction. I really think it's a motor or controller problem, but need to know how to trouble shoot with a DMM or some other means.
Expert:  Neil replied 1 year ago.
I doubt its the motor with that much usage... The fact it runs without someone would confirm that... Rather I would be having a look at the motor belt and see if that is slipping under load causing the unit to not be able to maintain speed and go into Low Speed... I would also check the positioning of the speed sensor... Under load the roller does move inwards slightly and can cause the sensor to go out of range... The sensor should be very close but not touching the front roller, it is a reed switch looking at magnets on the roller... Check the sensors connection to the main board... The friction aspect only comes into play when someone is on it... It is however critical to the performance of the unit as the belt has to slide over the deck under your foot so it has to be very slippery otherwise it will hesitate when you walk on it... The most common problem I see is people tightening the belt when it starts to do this rather than lub, this of course only makes it worse... Double check the belt tension is as per the manual's recommendations and re lub it.. It would be helpful to know the weight you are testing it with also... (Sorry if that is a rude question)... If all above is good then next we will need to check the motor brushes...