Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My bodyguard fitness magellan plus treadmill is saying speed

Customer Question

My bodyguard fitness magellan plus treadmill is saying speed error 12. What does that mean and is it fixable?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Fitness Equipment Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The treadmill deck does not turn at all. It quit suddenly while I was running. The elevation function is also not working. When I try to restart it and increase the speed it says speed error 12
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Fitness Equipment Technician should know?
Customer: It is 12 years old and has had a lot of regular use. I have never had it serviced. The deck has been running a little rougher in the last few months as well
JA: Our top Fitness Equipment Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Fitness Equipment Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Fitness Equipment Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That error code is, unfortunately, not specifically indicative. In general terms it could be

1) your treadmill belt needs lubricating and adjusting.

2) your speed sensor could be broken or more likely out of alignment and not registering properly

or

3) motor getting old / power supply not providing proper amount of power to motor that drives belt. Let's hope not, and try the first two first.

To address the first problem, follow the procedure below, and note that treadmill belt lubricant is not oil-based, is special stuff specifically made for treadmills. Here's the procedure to follow to properly adjust the walking belt:

The solution that you should try first, is that the belt might need readjusting and lubrication (with the special, non-grease, lubricant these treadmill belts generally require.)

The belt should be adjusted, generally speaking, so that it is loose enough that it does not quite slip, but nearly that loose.

If the belt is adjusted (or, has shrunk up with age, and lack of lubricant...) too tightly, then it can stop the treadmill from working or running. An over-tight treadmill belt can cause wear, or even damage, in many other ways, such as by overheating the motor.