Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My treadmill suddenly stops, the circuit breaker is

Customer Question

My treadmill suddenly stops, the circuit breaker is switched. I THINK that the treadmill may need to be lubricated. It is about 20 years old . . . is this something I can do myself? I didn't see that information in the owners manual. It's a Proform Model #831.297980. Thanks.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

You can do the lubrication yourself. And it might help! if the adjustment is also needed, and is too tight.

Here's how to do the adjustment:

The solution that you should try first, is that the belt might need readjusting and lubrication (with the special, non-grease, lubricant these treadmill belts generally require.)

The belt should be adjusted, generally speaking, so that it is loose enough that it does not quite slip, but nearly that loose.

If the belt is adjusted (or, has shrunk up with age, and lack of lubricant...) too tightly, then it can stop the treadmill from working or running. An over-tight treadmill belt can cause wear, or even damage, in many other ways, such as by overheating the motor.

If you need direction to a source for, or a guide to, lubrication of a treadmill belt, let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Russell--yes, I need to know where to get this special lubrication and where to apply it. Thanks VERY much!Ellen

https://www.proform.com/accessories/treadmill-accessory-kit?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping%20-%20Core%20Brand&c3api=4075,98090704448,

is the Proform Belt Lubricant. It's proper for your treadmill's belt (the belt that you run upon with your feet or shoes, not the other kind of belt). Other brands or purchasable products may be usable, but I'm going with advising you to go with this.

The process of applying it is simple enough: spread some out of the tube onto the belt, on the side you can reach. Then spread it out still further over the belt by hand or with a non-absorbent cloth, then run the belt, alternating with spreading some more out, until it is evenly coating the belt surface.

Or, just follow the directions in the package, which may be much more reliable.

Don't forget to also adjust the belt! according to my instructions.

If that answers your question fully, please rate my answer. Thanks.