J.T.
J.T., Technician
Experience:  I have over 10 years experience in all fields of fitness equipment repair and service.
16229639

Treadmill slows down and speeds up erratically when running.

Customer Question

Treadmill slows down and speeds up erratically when running. I have tried adjusting tread belt tension and it helps some but it happens again. It feels like there is too much drag putting the motor under load. I have tried cleaning the belt. The drive belt from the motor to the front roller also squeeks. I don't know if I need to be checking electrical things or belt wear or what. I am pretty handy and can replace parts myself, I just need some help with troubleshooting.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  J.T. replied 9 months ago.

Hi how old is the unit? Has it ever been lubricated?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi. I bought it used from a closing gym in 2010. So, my guess is about 8 to 10 years old. I have not lubricated it. I couldn't find anything on lubrication anywhere in any of the maintenance or repair manuals online.
Expert:  J.T. replied 9 months ago.

Ah OK if it's a unit from a gym it does not get lube. If it's that old your belts and deck are worn out for sure. Being that old and from a gym it's not going to be Cheap to fix. Most likely not cost effective.

Expert:  J.T. replied 9 months ago.

You can look up Parts at fitnessrepairparts. Com or Treadmill doctor. Com

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, so you think the deck and the belt need replacement? How do I know that is it? Something I can check? Could it be just the belt or would it be the deck too? I can replace both deck and belt for under $500. It is an $8k unit new. I paid $1k used. $500 would be worth it rather than trying to find another gym unit and moving both!
Expert:  J.T. replied 9 months ago.

Belt and deck need to be replaced at the same time. They wear together. How does the Motor sound ? Is it very loud? That's Cheap for a commercial unit so that would def be worth it. Usually they are much more $

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Motor makes a bit of a clicking noise but not real loud and the drive belt squeaks. I checked the brushes and they looked ok to me.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
$419 gets me a new deck, belt, and drive belt. Anything else I should check before I order?
Expert:  J.T. replied 9 months ago.

That's a great deal. The only other 2 things are Motor and controller. But the units works fine until under load. So that means too much friction.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh, I should divulge, I replaced the motor controller a few months ago because it was blowing fuses. That fixed that issue. Found one for $300. that make any difference to your answer? Any idea what the clicking in the motor is?
Expert:  J.T. replied 9 months ago.

Well it was blowing fuses due to bad belt and deck. Too much draw from the Motor trying to keep the correct speed. The clicking is the bearings wearing out on the Motor.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK. Thanks! Just let the bearings go on the motor and keep running it? Are they replaceable or would that be a full motor replacement?
Expert:  J.T. replied 9 months ago.

You can have it rebuilt or replace the Motor. Check prices on both. As long as it's not too loud just run it

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK. It's about $800 new. I doubt rebuild would be less....but maybe. Thanks again. I will try replacing the deck, belt, and drive belt and see how that does. even motor replacement is cheaper than trying to find a similar quality treadmill.
Expert:  J.T. replied 9 months ago.

Rebuild usually cheaper. Try an alternator Repair shop

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK
Expert:  J.T. replied 9 months ago.

please rate my answer. thanks!