Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a norditrack 8600 inclined trainer. the belt does not

Customer Question

Customer: i have a norditrack 8600 inclined trainer. the belt does not start. it makes a humming sound the incline and the displays all work the only message I get is lubricate belt this is a very heavy duty machine i have bought used
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the motor does not run the belt. it just makes a humming sound when i start it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Exercise Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: if my issue is tracked down I will be will to pay the $18
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

The belt may be too tight or in need of some lubrication, or the motor may have failed.

First, try running the machine with the belt loosened.

If it still doesn't work, then test the motor by connecting a power supply directly to it. If the motor does not run normally then it will need to be replaced.

If you need the contact details for a repairer in your area, please let me know the zip code.

Pete.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The belt is not tight. I will still try to loosen it and run it. Also the motor makes a humming sound but does not start. How to connect the power directly to the motor. You have to tell me how to test that the controller is supplying correct power to the motor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I even removed the drive belt and ran it the motor does not start just makes humming sound
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

You can test the motor using a battery - see this video guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdR4JGcygnQ

If the motor does not work when powered by the battery then it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this is not a simple positive negitive dc motor. There are 5 wires coming out ouf the motorone set of red , black and white
and
one set 2 blue wiresity is a variable controlled treadmill motor made by emerson
model no J63WZBFM-118
5hp
how to test it ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i see a thread that resembles my problem it is same model as mine and same problemNordicTrack 8600 will not run. Has power. "No system errors"Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/fitness-equipment/6bdvg-nordictrack-8600-will-not-run-power-no-system-errors.html#ixzz3y0g6Evj3i don't see a resolution to it in the thread. can you assit further. seems like this motor will have to be tested using A/C because i experienced the same as this person while testing it with a battery
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

You don't need to worry about the control wires on the motor - just connect the two power wires direct to a battery to test the motor.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
does not work. but it does becomes tight. the wires show cols are good. read the post above i experience the same thing that the person above is experiencing. This is an a/c motor which is controlled by delta VFD-A ( variable frequency controller ) which outputs a/c. it has three wires black, white, red
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

If the motor is not working then it will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont think you are taking this seriuosly this is not a 12 v Dc motor that i can test with a 12v battey read the thread i posted in my previous message it is for the same model
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

We are not looking to run the Ac motor, just check if it turns briefly under DC voltage which is much safer.

However, you can test it using AC power if you wish, however you must take care when working with the dangerous live voltages.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does respond to the current. showing that it should work. how to apply a/c voltage to this motor. If you are not familiar with this kind of treadmill then can you please refer me to the correct person
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Opting out.