J.T.
J.T., Technician
Experience:  I have over 10 years experience in all fields of fitness equipment repair and service.
16229639

Athlon IQ2.5 wit error code E3 seconds after starting. Motor

Customer Question

Customer: athlon IQ2.5 wit error code E3 seconds after starting. Motor starts turning and belt moves for 1 1/2 seconds and shuts off w/ E3 displayed. I removed the guards and find the speed sensor is clean and dust free. The sensor has a forked design with a disk midway in the slot. (the disk has alternate clear segments and black painted segments). The sensor is a 4 wire device. How do I field test the sensor?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: treadmill wont move the belt except for 1 1/2 seconds at startup. shuts down with error E3.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Exercise Equipment Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  J.T. replied 10 months ago.

You need a new motor control board. The sensors hardly ever go bad. The only way to test them is with an ohm meter. Its a simple optical sensor. You may be able to just rotate the motor by hand and watch for a blinking led on the board. If it blinks the sensor works. Not all machines have the blinking led so you cant rely on that