Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Nordictrac E8.7 Elliptical I bought new from Sears

Customer Question

I have a Nordictrac E8.7 Elliptical I bought new from Sears and didn't get around to putting it together for a while and when it didn't work right away I was too busy to address the issue and I'm afraid it's not covered by any warranty now but it has literally never been used with power on. When you plug it in and turn the power switch on, it instantly starts making a clicking sound. I finally disassembled it and the circuit board has light(s) that flash while it's clicking. The manual says it should automatically raise itself up and down to confirm it's good but yea, that has never happened and I adjusted the magnet sensor to make sure that wasn't causing it and I'm afraid I could use someone with experience because I've read other peoples testimonies with similar troubles. I wanna say it goes: CLICK!,clickclickclickclickclick, repetitively. Now there's a red and green light on the board while clicking. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do well and pump servicing so I know a decent amount about the way things work but am not touching it more until a little guidance. Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That clicking is associated with recalibration of the incline, in slightly more functional but not perfectly functional machines of this model series.

As for warranty repair coverage: is your NordicTrack machine less than a year from its purchase date? this is an important point.

The two lights, red and green - they may mean various things. It depends upon *which* red and which green lights they are.

Generally the green light simply means 'some power is getting into this unit'. The red light can mean other things. What legend or identifier is next to the red light (and the green light) is crucial.

I suspect that one light is for 'power' or 'power relay' more or less, and the other light means 'incline motor powered On and working or trying to work'... but let me know how those two LEDs are identified on the board next to them, please, and we'll go from there.

(I suspect a linkage to the motor that raises the incline, may be jammed or blocked. Examine that part with some attention.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
LD1 and LD2 have constant green lights when first switched on and clicking has always been immediately, LD3 is simultaneously constantly red while LD4 flashes with the clicking, I inspected area and nothing appears incorrect, wiring and linkage assembly wise, but I did notice when I test and it's clicking the small fan above motor and gear to raise incline twitches and moves sporadically like it wants to turn but stops itself and never actually spins freely more than a few clicks.

The fan is defective unless the power supplied to it is intermittent.

I suspect, since fans defective that way (with worn-out, sticking bearings and/or worn-out motor windings) are usually quite old, that you may have intermittent voltage to that fan.

I have lost track of the reference information as to those colors of lights on this model, so I have to pause to look up that information again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's about 2 1/2 years old and I'd say brand new because it has less than 4 miles of exercise on it but all internals look brand new and I know I should've got it taken care of under warranty after putting it together and not working but I didn't and it is what it is now but I have records of buying it at Sears in Tampa for around $730 and am hoping I can fix it myself. Thank you and I appreciate your effort. I am a water well and pump service technician, driller, helper, secretary and President so I understand the burden.
Ted Kiefer
Kiefer Drilling LLC(###) ###-####

As far as I can tell - having found some information at last - if the LD4 is green not red, then all indications there are normal, showing power (the first two) and motor power (the third) normal status.

Can you locate the clicking sound, if it's not mechanical, please? try not to get zapped by touching anything, but listen carefully for its locale - it might be a power relay opening and closing, rather than anything visible. If you had a stethoscope it might help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
LD3 is solid red while on and LD4 flashes red with the clicking, it almost sounds like it's on the circuit board where the lights are, where the clicking is but I'll double check
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

OK. Let me know, at your convenience. Thanks.