Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have the norditrack e4400. All of a sudden it will turn on

Customer Question

I have the norditrack e4400. All of a sudden it will turn on and seem to take off really fast but shut of after about a second or so. If I unplug it it will do the same when plugged back in. It just seems to be starting really quickly and shutting down.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That is, I think, typical of a treadmill (or any exercise machine powered with a motor) that has lost the ability to sense the speed the driving motor (and the belt) is running at.

This is signified by the sudden start at too fast a speed, followed by shutdown when (obviously enough) the system detects absolutely no speed indication from the speed sensor. After a small amount of time, a device with well-written digital firmware will know that it is not sensing the speed and it is the right thing to do to shut down completely.

Either you, or a repair-person, will need to look at the speed sensor, and adjust it, and/or test it with a meter, and hopefully by that means repair it. (Unless the board the sensor wires lead to is defective, or similar slightly rarer cases.)

What approach would you like to take, self-repair (hopefully - there is some hope of it being successful) or hired repair on-site or taken-into-a-shop ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, where would I find this sensor and is it something that I could change myself. Where would I find someone to fix it for me?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The speed sensor is part # ***** in this diagram of the Lower Unit:

http://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/diagram/2335

To locate a listing for professional(s) in your region, please give me your local zip code. Thanks.