Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Livestrong LS15.0e elliptical. When I am in Manual

Customer Question

I have a Livestrong LS15.0e elliptical. When I am in Manual mode the resistance gets easier as I increase the level. I would think it should be the opposite.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that if the elliptical never worked properly, and has always had this problem in the pattern of reverse-response that you report, then either it has a defective resistance motor controller board from the manufacturer, or it was assembled wrongly (with two wires reversed on the resistance motor, or a similar wrong assembly detail) at the factory.

If this has developed recently, or if it worked properly before this as to resistance, then that is a bit harder to settle at this point. Are there any other problems that you have noticed? how old is the elliptical in question?

Does the resistance work properly in any other mode than Manual ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It has always worked this way and in all of the modes

How old is the Elliptical in question (measured from the date of original purchase) ?

At this point I am not sure whether it is proper operation (according to some bizarre notion that 'higher resistance setting means less resistance'), or a case of mis-manufacture or improper assembly. But if it is still within warranty coverage period - or better, within the vendor's return-exchange period - the conclusion that it is a manufacturer's error or culpability would be all the more significant. So let me know, please - and a last question also: When you turn 'down' the resistance, does the actual resistance increase?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is probably 3-4 years old. I tried several modes and when I decrease the level the pedals and handles get harder to move.

Are you using the controls on the upper right side of the console, labeled

20

16

12

10

etc. ?

If so, try holding down the STOP key for 3 seconds to reset the console, then after that, try setting resistance again, and see what the results are after that reset, please. And let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Holding the STOP did not change anything.

Are you using the controls on the upper right side of the console, please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK. I examined documentation about the resistance function, and while I cannot find specifics for this specific model, my impression is that what you report is abnormal.

1: you can simply put up with it, or wait for it to develop into worse (if it does - by no means certain.)

or

2: you can have the machine repaired by a pro tech at the job of maintaining and repairing these models of this make.