Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Schwinn 203 thta I bought in 06 which I love but

Customer Question

Customer: I have a Schwinn 203 thta I bought in 06 which I love but lately I will be riding and the tension will release and the the pedals will slip. I pulled the cranks and took off the covers but I don't any dirt or loose wires. Got any ideas what could be wrong. If it is the tension motor, do they still make them?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Exercise Equipment Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I have to admit my knowledge of the Schwinn line of exercise bicycles is not as extensive as it should be in order to advise you as well as I should.

However, your question was neglected for a while, I can see, and I thought it deserved an answer of some sort, at least.

If the tension releases, that is most likely to be a problem in the resistance motor controller board, I think. Problems with the resistance motor would be more likely to show up as complete and persistent failure of resistance in the pedals.

However, anyone repairing the machine, having opened it and unplugged it, would be well advised to check for loose connections or fasteners that are not fastened. And, to check the motor controller board for indicator lights.

Also, sometimes a motion sensor might be nearly out of alignment, and when the machine is vibrating owing to being used, that might turn into altogether-out-of-alignment. So motion sensor alignment should also be checked, even if only briefly.