Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

We just bought a used efx 5.21si in excellent

Customer Question

We just bought a used efx 5.21si in excellent condition--hardly used. When we went to rotate the pedals, one of them is making a ratcheting noise on the right side only, and only going forward
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Both pedals are linked together inside the machine, and both pedals should be able to move forwards and backwards in a tandem motion.

If the right side is making a ratcheting noise and will only move forward, then this indicates that there is a fault with the internal mechanism that links both sides.

You will need to remove the cover off the rear of the machine and examine the mechanism - if something has slipped out of place, nudge it back in again and ensure it is secure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both pedals are able to move forwards and backwards, but the right side makes the ratcheting noise only when it's pedal is moving forward. The ratcheting noise only happens as the pedal reaches the farthest back (rear) position.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ah ok, I see!

Does it only happen when someone is standing on the machine?

Or does it happen if you move the pedals by hand when no-one is on the machine as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happens both ways.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my answer above? The noise happens when we push the pedals by hand, and when we stand on it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response!

The right pedal mechanism is likely clashing with another part of machine and causing the noise.

Can you remove the cover off the rear of the machine and observe the mechanism's movements to identify which parts are clashing and causing the noise?