Freddy M.
Freddy M., Customer Service
Experience:  Years of experience in IT and customer support
15852642

I have a HS 3.1 EL elipitical. It beeps when I am using it

Customer Question

I have a HS 3.1 EL elipitical. It beeps when I am using it -- I cannot finding any mention of what this means in the manual. Please help!
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Does it give an error? Does it beep in a pattern?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy. fyi This is a secondhand machine, about two years old, which I bought a few weeks ago -- it looks in very good nick, no wear marks, quiet, the woman I bought it from said she had barely used it (she seemed trustworthy).It does not give an error when it beeps. It beeps about 5 minutes into "Training in HRC Target" mode (this is the only mode I have used it in). At the same time, the timer when set to 20 minutes stops counting down -- if I press a few buttons I can usually get it going again, but it will stop again a few minutes later. I'm not sure whether the beeps always coincide with the timer stopping or not. I can find no mention of the beeps in the manual -- I have searched a pdf online to make sure I haven't missed anything. I was wondering if I just need to reboot the whole thing? However, the manual does not have a trouble-shooting section so I have no idea how to do that. Your insights and advice greatly appreciated.Rachel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy: I went ahead and tried a "Total reset" -- it did not solve the problem. The beeps appear to happen before the timer stops -- are they supposed to alert me to the end of a program? Am I programming the "Training in HRC Target" mode incorrectly? I had followed the instructions and pressed "Mode" rather than set an exercise "distance" or "calories" -- correct? Rachel
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

The beeps sound like they are coming from the heart rate monitor. If your heart rate gets too high some machines beep to let you know to slow down a bit and catch your breath. Can you test it by turning on a training mode and not actually using it? With no one on it there will be no heart rate for the machine to monitor. So if it still beeps we can rule that out, if it does not beep next time this happens you may want to check your heart rate. Let me know what you find when doing this please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy. If I turn it on and don't use it it just goes off, so instead I turned it on in "Training in HRC Target" but did't touch the heart monitor sensors for the first 4 minutes -- it didn't beep -- within 30 secs of touching the sensors it did beep. So it looks as if it is something to do with the sensors as you suggest. However, my heart rate has always been quite low when I use the bike. I will set the target HR at 75 % and see if that makes a difference. Until now I've had it at 55 % as recommended in the manual for when you first start using it. Rachel
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

If your heart rate is low the heart rate sensors could need to be replaced. However it should beep due to bpm not percentage. If it gets too high it is supposed to beep in order to let you know to cool down for a minute or two, then try to raise it again. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your HS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Freddy. Have yet to check at 75 % -- it is too hot here in Australia to use the trainer today. Will do so tomorrow.btw my heart rate is just naturally very low -- it doesn't indicate that the sensors need replacing. However, how would one replace the sensors if that does turn out to be the problem? Rachel
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

You would need to have a technician do that for you. But if your heart rate is naturally low hopefully that is not the case. Take all the time you need to test this and let me know the results when you can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having no luck at all. The beeping isn't a problem if I use programs other than HRC target. However, the load setting seems incredibly high -- there are 16 levels, and I can only manage the first 2 -- I am quite strong, and fit. Would you have any idea what that issue might be? Any insight would be useful -- is the model known to be problematic, for instance? Happy to wrap this session up soon, however, as the beeping seems very difficult to solve. I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

HS models do sometimes have common issues with resistance, motor failures, and motor control board failures. I can not think of any reason for what you are describing though. I will opt out and open this to all experts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm not getting a response from any other technicians. R