J.T.
J.T., Technician
Experience:  I have over 10 years experience in all fields of fitness equipment repair and service.
16229639

I have a Proform tour de france model PFEX01312.1 i need to

Customer Question

i have a Proform tour de france model PFEX01312.1 i need to know how much or if the clutch part of the pulley should be lubricated? Mine is failing to engage all the time. I have cleaned it but I don't know if it is supposed to be lubed or not. I have disassembled the pulley from the flywheel and I can NOT determine whether or not there should or shouldn't be lube in the "clutch" in the flywheel hub. it was dry with just some dirt on the pulley and more dust//dirt inside of the hub/"clutch" in the flywheel. The Pulley part number is ***** in the exploded view in the owners manual.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.

You just need to replace the clutch. It's a wear item. The " teeth" start to go bad on the one way bearing. Eventually it will just freewheel.

Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.

Fitnessrepairparts. Com or Treadmill doctor. Com for Parts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
J.T. Im not finding the "clutch" listed in any of the parts lists that I have seen. they are all showing the "hub" as an assembly at $400 plus. any suggestions as to where this might be located? I can replace the flywheel "pulley" that goes into the Clutch , but I don't think that is the actual problem. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
J.T. is this "clutch" supposed to have some sort of lube on it? if so what kind, how much, etc.? Thanks
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.

Well that stinks. Sometimes it's pressed onto the hub and you need to get the assembly. There is nothing to lube it's a sealed bearing from the factory. Once they wear out they need to be replaced

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the Flywheel pulley just slides into the clutch with a twisting motion, but there was very little if any lubricant on the body that goes into the clutch when I took it out. since this is a one way Bearing and the clutch rotates around the Pulley body, I would think that there "should" be some sort of lubricant on that body. I may try to order the Pulley assembly at $35 and see it that will give it a little more life before I spring for the whole hub.
Expert:  J.T. replied 1 year ago.

There should just be a small amount of grease inside the bearings . Any grease should work . Grease wont really help anything long term if at all. Once a part starts to go bad it will need to be replaced.