Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Bremshey Treadline Pacer, not used couple of years,

Customer Question

I have a Bremshey Treadline Pacer, not used for a couple of years, just cleaned it up and tried to get it going. As soon as power is applied it starts buzzing loudly. I select P1 and start and the belt moves (slowly) for around 5 seconds then stops and E7 is displayed. Any ideas?
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The E7 error code indicates a fault with the motor.

The best way to test the motor is to apply external power to the motor and see if it runs ok.

If it is still making a loud buzzing noise when external power is applied to it then this confirms it is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, the motor (and whole treadmill belt) runs for about 5 seconds when I start P1 before E7 appears. The right hand (time) display counts down from 11 to 0 and then keeps repeating.The treadmill has been kept in a very dusty environment (exterior garage) and I think a lot of dust may have entered the motor housing as it is exposed when the belt is raised in its storage position. I think the next step is to take it apart and give it a good clean....any tips with that?Andy
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Andy,

yes, dust can prevent the motor from working.

Give it a good clean first, and if it still doesn't work, then test the motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,ok, I cleaned inside the motor housing (it wasn't so dirty) and the problem remains. The motor still runs as it did before, for 8 seconds before E7 appears.The main motor is 180V DC, so how should I test it?There is a second motor (lift motor). Which one does the E7 refer to?Regards,
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The E7 error code indicates a fault with the incline motor.

If the motor only runs for a few seconds when testing it with an external power source, then this confirms that the motor is faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I found a service manual which covers the Bremshey Pacer here:
www.clubpiscine.ca/data/document/54-en~v~owner_s_manual_accell_fitness.pdfIt gives reasons for the E7 indeed as the Lift motor.When E7 appears the potentiometer is 1, which is indicating that the potentiometer is not picking up a signal.When I remove the motor, and try to run it, the motor is turning slowly all the time (that, I think, is the reason for the loud buzzing/humming noise, which is coming from the lift motor). It is trying to descrease the incline all the time, even though it is already all the way down.So the motor itself seems OK, and it is running. The problem must be with the potentiometer. I'll continue to check the remaining reasons in the service manual.Regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Result of further investigations: I tested the potentiometer and it seems OK, giving a resistance of 0 to 10K Ohms. I reset it to give 1.1K (which is what the manual says it should be for 0% incline) and put it back into the motor, then tried powering up the treadmill. The lift motor continues to run from first connection of the AC supply.I then took out the pot again and measured it - it was now reading 0 Ohms (which is what gives the value of '1' in test mode). So the turning of the lift motor is what is pushing it all the way to 0.I also tried the treadmill with the pot set to 1.1K but out of the lift motor (i.e. so it stayed there). The main (belt) motor then runs fine and I don't get the E7 error. That says to me that the controller is reading the pot value OK.So...what could be causing the lift motor to keep running, trying to reduce the incline, even though the pot value is saying "0%"?