Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a strengthmaster tread mill which as of yesterday

Customer Question

I have a strengthmaster tread mill which as of yesterday fails to function. I am a retired electiical engineer and I have traced power back to input to main cct board and it is OK - I have no manuals nor expertise in cct boards - help
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me what the full model # ***** your StrengthMaster is.

Do you observe any lights on the circuit boards?

Have you recently done adjustments on the tension of the belt? does the belt show any signs of fraying or severe wear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russel
Machine was working fine when last used 3 days ago. Yesterday I found that the RCD cct breaker supplying the gymn on the main dist board in the house was tripped - I reset it then found that the treadmill was not working. The in line cct breaker on the treadmill had not tripped.Nameplate /rating plate on the machine just states MOTORISED TREADMILL 240V / 50HZ and a serial # *****(###) ###-####- made in Taiwan - I cannot find any "model #"When the power on s/w on the control panel is pressed it "clicks" and feels positive but nothing on the panel illuminates and nothing "works"
I have tested power right up to incoming terminals of cct board and it is steady at 240v.
The cct board has 3 tiny led's, 2 yellow together and 1 red on another part of board. none of them light up when power is appliedNo adjustments carried out and belt shows no sign of wear.Tom
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That sounds, speaking honestly, quite bad. One of those LED lights should light up, even if only to flash red indicating an error.

Does anything show on the control panel? e.g. when you flip the power switch on the control panel, does anything light up?

If not, look for a switch or push-button near where the power cord goes into the machine. If one is found, push it, or change its position. That might be the breaker switch for the whole machine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing lights up even briefly on the control panel when the on button is pushedThere is a cct breaker near the power cord but it has not tripped and as I said above I have measured the voltage at the incoming terminals of the actual cct board and everything is OK up to there
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Try a reset of the breaker switch nonetheless... it's worth trying, once, in these circumstances.

The next question is, the condition of the belt on this treadmill.

The belt may need readjusting, and lubrication (with the special, non-grease, lubricant these treadmill belts generally require.)

The belt should be adjusted, generally speaking, so that it is loose enough that it does not quite slip, but nearly that loose.

If the belt is adjusted (or, has shrunk up with age, and lack of lubricant...) too tightly, then it can stop the treadmill from working or running. An over-tight treadmill belt can cause wear, or even damage, in many other ways, such as by overheating the motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already tested the cct breaker and it is fineAs to the belt - it seems fine.There is power to the terminals of the cct board, no led's light up on the board, the control panel remains dead (nothing lights up or activates) when the on/off switch is pressedI think the cct board is at fault but do not know where to buy a new one
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Which circuit board do you wish to buy (and yes, that could be the problem, esp. since power is verified as OK and there are no lights On, on the board...) - is it the only board in the machine?

We need to first off, identify that board, you know. Then it can be searched for and a source found for it... but please identify it just a bit, and if it's not the only board in the machine, please tell me where in the machine it is located. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the only cct board on the machine.I have to go away for 2 days tomorrow but on Sunday I will remove the board and see if it has any I.D. markings
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

That would be good, but I may be able to identify without mistake if it's the only board in the machine (...doing a search...) ...without any indication of what MX seres # ***** model is, I can't be at all certain of it, or even that it might be this one:

Controller, MC2100-12A

http://www.fitnessrepairparts.com/product_files/71055_6028485_sm.jpg

I think it would be highly advisable that further action on this case be deferred to after you have gotten the board out and compared it to that one and also gotten any numbers off it.