Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

520X treadmill stops during exercise, usually about 1/2

Customer Question

520X treadmill stops during exercise, usually about 1/2 cycle of an exercise program. After a few minutes it may be restarted and run an additiona cycle and stop again. Belt has been checked for right tension and is centered. Led limiter does not go on when the belt stops. The motor belt has the correct tension and the motor is not hot. All the Led light that are supposed to be on are on and the voltages read what's on the schematic.
When the belt stops the lights don't go out (the boards continue to receive electricity and the Leds do not flicker, except for the pulse Led. What could be causing this sudden stop? Anything I can do to fix it? Unit otherwise has worked faithfully without problems.
Category: Exercise Equipment
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The problem may be with the motor itself - you will need to test the load on the motor whilst the treadmill is in use and at the point it stops.

If it is not getting hot then it may need refurbishing or replacing.

Also let me know if any error warnings appear on the display when the problem occurs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried your suggestion and this is what happenned: At a 3mph speed, no load, readings were: 28.4 VDC at motor term. and 2.95-2.98 Amps. At 2.4mph speed, loaded with runner, readings were: 7.42-10 Amps x 1.5 mins, then 7.42-8.2 Amps x 1.25 cycles of an exercise cycle, then suddenly it turned off by itself, all LEDs went out and wouldn't turn back on with the overload switch. The motor was slightly warm. During the test LEDs were on except for the limiter, and this one did not turn on before the machine stopped.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged the machine from the wall, waited about 1 min. then plugged it back in but wouldn't start.